Sunday, January 09, 2005

White Noise

Since I blogged about going to see White Noise, I guess I should say how it was. I'll start with this: EVP (electronic voice phenomenon, or recording the voices of ghosts) does scare me. I have a bit of skepticism about paranormal stuff, but I do believe it's possible and have had enough paranormal experiences (or known people who do) to have a fair amount of openmindedness about it. So the idea of the movie kind of scared the crap out of me, and the commercials even scared me, but the movie wasn't that scary.

I wouldn't completely pan it, it was perfectly fine, but it just wasn't that scary of a movie. Also, it wasn't the most coherent film I've ever seen, either. I was thinking about it last night and realized that parts of it didn't make too much sense.

So, anyway, it wasn't quite the thrill I was looking for, but I wouldn't say that anybody should not see it. (Though I will add, I was glad to see a matinee!)

Thanks for reading,



Blogger Hebdomeros said...

That's too bad. I was really hoping for something stellar for Michael Keaton. That and I want a good, scary movie again. I'll probably catch a matinee on a day off this week.

Since you like EVP stories and other ghostly fun, there are some real ghosthunters in Leesburg, Va. that do a walking ghost tour that's very cool. Aside from hearing the typical ghost stories, they also tell you about their equiptment, the theories they work with, present ghosts vs. echo ghosts, etc. Worth the drive if you have a free Saturday night.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

I work in a museum with ghosts. Today I started on a new schedule so I can avoid working here alone after dark. I am an atheist with beliefs that there is a logical explanation for ghosts; i.e. according to recent discoveries, only 5% of matter can be quantified by current science, leaving 95% of the universe in the unknown.

Not to mention that creepy doorknob thing that happened in the summer when I worked solo overtime. :) Yeah, there are ghosts out there.

5:36 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Hey Hebdomeros, do you happen to know their names? The ghosthunters in Leesburg? That would definitely be a great thing to plan with a (large! ahem) group of friends, ha.

Maktaaq, I thought I remembered you worked in a haunted museum. I don't blame you for not wanting to work there after dark! However, I also agree with the stat you mentioned. I think there is so much we don't know about/understand in this world. I think we just know the tip of the iceberg...

11:30 PM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

How creepy is it that there's an advertisement for proof of ghosts on this post? :0

They have a website at:
Looks like they've expanded to tours in Romania, and more. Good for them. I found them by accident when doing some research on ghosts in Virginia for a story. I've done the tour twice: once with a guy who claimed to have a phd in physics from UVA, and the other with a new age psychic woman. Both good and fun for different reasons.

Maktaaq- I used to work in an art museum in an old house. Always very creepy when locking up the building at midnight. The eyes in the paintings really do follow you!

12:02 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Yeah, that banner ad kind of creeped me out when I was checking this in the middle of the night -- as did the haunted coffee pot! Eek! Too funny. Google's ads work a little TOO well!

Thanks for the Web site, I am totally looking forward to doing that!!!!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

Hebdomeros, locking up at midnight?

A few months ago, due to a self-imposed deadline, I was in the museum alone til midnight. My boss left me alone with all the windows open, which I didn't realize until I turned off the lights. I was pretty freaked out and trying to shut the windows in the dark (I couldn't find the light switch again). There were so many noises behind me creaking on the 99-year-old floor...when I knew I was alone in the building.

I also hate going to the bathroom at the museum unless someone accompanies me. It's in the basement, with all the creepy artifacts and the best place to hear ghostly footsteps. Not to mention that there is a scary room behind the toilet, where strange things once happened. Luckily, tomorrow my boss will also be working.

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home