Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Moon Over Bourbon Street

My cousin and I are trying to plan a trip to New Orleans for late February or early March. I've never been there (although I've always known I should go there, and I can hardly think of a better place to spark some creative inspiration (and to assuage one of my very rare impulses to "get away from it all" -- it hardly ever happens, I'm not a huge traveler, but man, I am feeling the need these days).

However, the air fares are looking pretty expensive (for my blood, anyway) considering the fact that I'm also trying to pay down debt and save money for an iBook. I don't know why money never seems enough, but anyway, we are currently trying to consider our options, including maybe just making it a road trip into Americana.

See, it's funny. Travel has never really had that much appeal to me. I have this weird attitude: "wherever I go, there I am" or whatever. It's also such an intangible -- the coveted iBook, of course, being quite tangible and something that would make my everyday life ever so much fun and productive, seeing how hacking away at this antique iMac with its outdated OS is becoming a bit of a pita.

Travel is so funny, people who love to do it don't understand those who don't, and vice versa. Truth is, once I get off my ass and do go somewhere, I generally do like it. Maybe what I dislike is all the planning, packing, and adjusting. And crap, getting up early for plane rides, ha.

None of this insight into my motivations is all that pertinent, though, considering I have finally driven myself to the point where I want new scenery, an interesting new place, a new experience, a place to take some blinkin' pictures of something I've never seen before. Hopefully the air fares will go down... or maybe a road trip is just the ticket. Get me outta here!

LLB

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

We went to New Orleans last year around Easter, and the weather was already steamy! You'll enjoy the multitude of occult stores in the shopping districts and the cemetary (the photo from the fall issue of JMWW was from New Orleans Cemetary No. 1). One cool thing was that Anne Rice's house, even though it's for sale, was sporting a Kerry sign on its front door. Are you staying in the quarter? We wound up in the garmet district, which is a ten-minute walk from the quarter, but if I had to do it over again I would have stayed in one of the smaller B&Bs east of the quarter.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New Orleans is a scintillating old world city. The history and culture is incredibly rich, though drenched in tourism (okay, I admit it, I've been a tourist there myself a number of times). Walking through St. Louis #1, the above ground cemetery, is just a lot of good old fashioned creepy fun. And don't forget to stroll through the Garden District as well. I was raised in the South, but this is a completely different universe. (Granted, we differ as I love to travel -day trips, weekend trips, overseas, love to check out all the other worlds ours has to offer)

Good luck with the ibook. I just got an almost new, revved up G4 for my design work. Be careful though -I ended up having to up my OS to X on my imac to transfer files over, and now my imac is sick to its stomach and won't boot up. Make sure that your soon to be new ibook has OS9 (assuming that's the outdated OS... I don't think you can get 8.6 anymore) on it, if you transfer files and programs.

-Anon L

9:54 AM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

My New Orleans experience is limited to a Mardis Gras trip several years ago. It was my only stereotypical college spring break trip. What little I could see of the city between the thousands and thousands of people jammed together looked nice. The only moment I got to myself was in a cemetery, and the dead were very accomodating.

I can say the food there was wonderful. Great places to eat everywhere.

10:03 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Thanks everybody! I have to admit I'm looking forward to the occult aspect... so cool. I can't wait to see the cemetaries... and yes, Jen, I do think that we are planning to stay in the Quarter, although not in the thick of it, I think. We also do plan to hit the Garden district...

I can say I have never wanted to go there for mardi gras, even when I was in college... that "girls gone wild" type crap is beyond me. I can imagine myself wanting to hurt many people!

Thanks L -- I have definitely heard that OS X makes iMacs sick to their stomachs which is why I am still running OS 9 on mine. I can't wait to upgrade though yeah, I'm not looking forward to the initial pita of getting everything transferred over... of course, this trip will likely make the iBook even further away!

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home