Thursday, December 30, 2004

Resolve!

It's a good time to think about New Years resolutions, even though I rarely make them and indeed, in some ways they sound like good ways to disappoint oneself and beat oneself up when they fail, but whatever.

That's why I'm not coming up with anything like losing 10 pounds or quitting smoking, even though these should be on my list. Sure, I am going to be better about working out (even though it's quite clear it eats into my writing/blogging/reading time, dammit), and unfortunately, I have been stubborn about even the thought of quitting smoking (remember when every self-respecting writer ran around with a cigarette hanging out their mouth?) but anyway.

So here's my first thought of a resolution for 2005: get a piece published for money! Even if it's just $10.

Okay, so it's a flawed resolution in the sheer fact that I have no control over who publishes any of my pieces or under what terms. In fact, my publication record is still spotty; even though I did get 4 pieces published in 2003, with 3 of them being published almost simultaneously, 2004 proved to be a bit of a dry spell, with only one publication credit sneaking in at the last minute, accepted in December! So, my resolution could easily fail and I could most certainly not get anything accepted all year.

But anyway, it's as good as any and will be fun to revisit, say, on the brink of NYE a year from today. (If, of course, we're not wiped out by tsunamis. I'm sure that most of us are thinking about the fragility of life after this past week's events.)

Anyway, I'd be glad to hear of any other resolutions anybody has! And, like I said, totally understand if you're one of those people who's resolved to be non-resolute for the New Year.

Thanks for reading,

LLB

4 Comments:

Blogger Hebdomeros said...

Sounds like a good goal to me. My resolution for '04 was to get a single piece of fiction published, and I'm counting down the minutes because I'm expecting to hear about a submission today.

For '05 I have a few things in mind, but not fully defined yet. Some writing related. My b-day hits next week, so I usually save writing them down until then.

9:42 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Wow, Hebdomeros, hearing about a submission today! I have my fingers crossed for you!

Happy birthday in advance, too! That's pretty cool that your birthday falls around the New Year.

12:16 PM  
Blogger maikopunk said...

I rarely make new years resolutions but here are 2 things I'd like to do:
Write more (of course) and get paid for it
Be more accepting of other people and remember that if they are doing something differently from how I would do it, they don't need me to approve of it.
Happy New Year Lady LLB! Now where's my U2 CD?

1:27 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Those are good resolutions, maikopunk! I kept having that line go through my head though, too: "Nothing changes on New Year's Day" - ha.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home