Monday, December 27, 2004

Still

The week between Christmas and New Years is so weird. You have this vague feeling the holidays are still going on; even though I was at work, we were operating with a bit of a skeleton crew although my "fan" email was pouring in. (Readers can write to me about the articles I write for my day job, so I'm fairly exposed; this is sometimes not so pleasant, it's not uncommon to get "flamed," although I got a lot of very kind emails today -- phew!) So, that said to me lots of people were just kinda sitting at their computers reading stuff on the Internet, since there was such a flood of email today. Limbo, I tell you!

What's my point? I have no point. I'm in a bit of a limbo too (although yesterday during a little spell of time all to myself, I did start a new short story, so that's good -- like 10 pages just flowed out). We have our houseguest here again, so we just got done watching some movies. Unless my roommate and my houseguest will acquiesce to me reading to them (haha, not gonna happen), I'm not getting any reading done tonight.

But I was wondering, does anybody have any tips for paying markets that are open to new writers? I have a bunch of stories submitted to markets that don't pay, but I always like to have a few submitted to paying markets as well. I know it's greedy of me, but man, I really want a new iBook and it's nice to have that little glimmer of hope that there could be some supplementary income. (Dream on, I know.)

I hope everybody's having a great week, and I hope most of you are still on holiday!

LLB

5 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq said...

Yes, it does feel like the holidays are over. New Year's just isn't the same...we're planning to stay in and cheer the New Year by ourselves.

I found Vamped, finished reading it last night.

I am on week two of my three-week vacation - ha! Me no work! Thought I would at least catch up on my reading.

9:46 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Did you like Vamped? I just got a huge kick out of it!

Yeah, New Years Eve in can be nice, and I'm a big fan of low key. I am going to a party this year with old tried-and-true friends, so that counts as a good plan in my book! My days of whooping it up at drunken bars are certainly over...

1:10 AM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

The only paying market I've had much luck with is Wordwrights!, a small D.C. mag that pays $30 for acceptance, and $100 if you get voted by the editors as the best piece. I've heard rumors that they're on hiatus, though.

I have to work New Years Eve, so my night is planned out by default.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

I've had only one really boozed up New Years; I drank on all the others as my parents, even when I was young, let me have my own glass of champagne. But this one particular New Year's I got so trashed I passed out after telling all my friends how not drunk I was. In fact I can remember the exact date of the last time I was drunk (June 28, 2002) and it ain't happening again.

We don't have any plans for New Year's, but I am hanging out with my best friend, so how can it get any better? (Oh, I should mention that I broke up with my fiance on New Year's Eve of 2002-2003 or whatever it should be called. I figure all New Year's will be an improvement on that rather unhappy night.)

10:16 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Maktaaq, I'm sorry about the NYE with your fiance... that is definitely a tough one! Sounds like nice plans for this one, though!

And in my jaded past, I definitely had similar NYE's, insisting I wasn't drunk when CLEARLY... ha.

Hebdomeros, thanks for the heads up for Word Wrights, I hope it's not on hiatus. And I'm sorry you have to work on NYE, that's kind of a bummer! I took the day off...

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home