Saturday, December 18, 2004

Irrational Fear of the Day

Carpal tunnel syndrome.

Actually, it's not just today that I fear it. Every once in a while the idea will freak me out. Judging by the fact that my entire career -- day job writing, and part-time fiction writing, careers -- rely on me being able to type and type fast. Yes, it scares me.

I know it's of grave concern to non-writers too. Given the ubiquity of computers these days, the keyboard's king. I'm thinking it's a disability of utmost concern to programmers, too.

I know that there will probably be ways to speak words into electronic files (I mean, we can do it now, I think, though I think voice recognition is still pretty rudimentary technology), but I've always done better with the written word than the spoken word. My writing relies on me being able to flow it onto the screen, and then play with it there too. Things that come out of my mouth are rarely very literary.

Anyway. Any other irrational fears that have to do with writing? I just thought I'd share mine, seeing how whenever I get a twinge in my wrist I get a little freaked out ("It has begun!").

Write on,

LLB

6 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq said...

I already have a problem with my left elbow. I tend to sit for long periods of time looking at the screen when I edit or ponder, my chin resting on my left hand. As a result my elbow has been aching for more than a month. I also crashed into something with my left elbow and it's been even worse since. I have to remember to keep my arm straight (seems like that's the least painful).

My butt also occasionally aches. Now that National Novel Writing Month is over I should be spending less time in this seat. :)

3:34 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Maktaaq, I do that exact same thing. I lean on my right elbow at work, when I'm reading stuff on the Web or thinking. So far, so good though, in terms of avoiding elbow pains. Maybe you and I need to both decide to spend less time in our seats! :) And less time on our elbows!! :)

1:02 PM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

No carpal tunnel problems for me, but I don't type much for my day job.

At home at my own computer, for some reason I often tuck my left leg underneath me when I sit down and start to write. After 30 minutes or so it falls asleep and sometimes hurts. Whenever I do it, I always think, "I shouldn't sit this way. My leg's going to fall asleep." But I do it anyway.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

I am doing that right now. Leaning on my left elbow.

One of my coworkers also noted that my work computer (in front of which I am now) is too low. It's now resting on two phone books. I thought I would add that since the majority of my job is writing copy for the museum. :)

8:24 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I have a little carpal tunnel. Kind of painful. My real fear is going blind. One can still work with stabbing pains up one's arms...

3:38 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Yeah, Jen, I'm deathly afraid of going blind too. That would really destroy my life. I used to wonder if I could go without hearing though, since I love music so much... ah the weird mind games one plays with oneself when young. I'd ask myself which sense I'd be able to go without. Like you can choose.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home