Sunday, December 19, 2004

It's in the Cards

You know, you'd think that the holiday season would be a great one for writers, what with all this card writing nonsense (one of the few realms left where snail mail rules), but man. I get more and more tired of doing Christmas cards every year.

My hand gets in a cramp from old-fashioned pen-and-ink handwriting, and I get utterly frustrated by the people who I realize have moved within the last year or two, who I need to hunt down addresses for. Then there are the people who are procreating and I (shamefully) have forgotten the names of their new offspring. Meanwhile, it gets harder and harder to think of something creative and interesting to say so each card becomes in effect a form letter.

It's too bad. Maybe I should start thinking about starting the whole process in say, October. (Like when I should start my Christmas shopping, but never do!) Maybe then each card could have some heartfelt message written with the utmost hand-written care. (We all know this is not going to happen.)

Do you guys send out holiday cards? I know that a lot of people have given up on it in this day and age. However, I have to admit, I always enjoy finding cards that I like to send. (This year, I was very excited to have found Edward Gorey Christmas cards, to put in my lineup. Of course, that was the box I ran out of quickly.)

In the end, there are always the people whose cards still remain unaddressed who I am trying to find out their addresses (I have a few of those now). And of course there are the tons of people who aren't in my address book to begin with, so I just have to hope they know I am wishing them happy holidays. Why do I torment myself with this year after year? Okay, I sort of enjoy it and like getting cards. It's the spirit of Christmas.

Write on,

LLB

11 Comments:

Blogger Hebdomeros said...

Wow. Edward Gorey cards would be great. I have a box of Curious George I'm still working through. I don't send many out, so it takes awhile for me to go through a box.

I find I get ecards from people more and more now. But then I stay in touch with people more over email than by phone, so it works out.

1:51 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Haha, yeah, I have Curious George cards too! Edward Gorey cards are generally pretty hard to find, which would explain my excitement over that find. I don't think the stores stock very large inventories of them -- I think it's definitely a pretty small market for them.

I also had a box of Grinch cards that are all sent too. That cracked me up, that they make Grinch Christmas cards.

I do think ecards are often the way to go.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Where did you find the Gorey cards?

2:23 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Believe it or not, I found the Gorey cards in (gasp!) Borders. I would not have thought they'd be available in anything but an independent card store.

If you're a Gorey fan, I ran across regular, non-holiday Gorey stationary in Olssens, in a really cool box. I totally coveted that stationary but also realized that I'd have to revitalize the lost art of snail mail correspondence to justify the expense of buying a box, so I didn't splurge. They're really super cool though.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’m awful, I know it, but really don’t care. No box of Christmas cards is needed by me. This year only sent out three cards – to the people who are truly most important to me. Two of them were children. Kathleen

5:41 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Hi Kathleen, no, that's not awful at all! I think in the case of cards, to each his or her own. Like I said, I know a lot of people who don't do it, and I'm sure if I stopped doing it people wouldn't notice too much. It is one more thing that can certainly put stress into the holidays!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

I sent out Christmas cards for work-related people. That makes me a real schmoozer, no?

I used to enjoy writing letters and all, but nobody writes back or they send out boring one-liners. Sigh. I got quite a few sent to me this year though. I used to also paint my own cards but it's grown to be far too labour intensive, since I also needed to specially cut the papers so they would have frayed edges, add my Chinese seal to them (I lived in Asia for 5 years hence the Asianness of the whole affair), glue them onto card stock, add a message...when you get to about 100 cards it's really time-consuming. One of my friends ordered some cards from me, but just too busy this year to start painting...

Edward Gorey cards?

!!!!!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Actually, I love mailing cards (and I have cards for you and for Maktaaq with no addresses. I'll give you yours at our dinner after the New Year--the ladies of fiction are getting together! I will send Maktaaq's by carrier pigeon.)

9:11 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Hey Jen, that sounds like an excellent idea as I dont have your address either. It's a date!

I wish the carrier pigeon could bring Maktaaq back after delivering her card to have dinner with us! :)

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

/ blog has all kinds of really cool stuff in it. www.christmas-mall-online.com

2:45 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Powerful blog. The site was incredible and will be
back again! Web surfing helps to find good blogs like
this one.
Please examine my blog as soon as you can.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home