Sunday, January 02, 2005

Oops

In regard to paying markets, Hebdomeros had suggested Wordwrights!, and I couldn't find it easily through a Google search yesterday. It seems there are several entities called Wordwrights!, and I knew that the one he spoke of was a DC-based operation.

In the weird ways of synchronicity, though, today I picked up the most recent Poets & Writers I had sitting around, and it had a "call for submissions" for Wordwrights! in its back pages. Here is its Web site. They charge a $5 reading fee and they do pay between $20 and $100, and read stories under 2,500 words. (Most of my stories tend to be about 3,000 to 3,500 words, so I'm not sure if I even have something that I can send -- there's also the deal that most of my stuff is submitted right now.)

At any rate, it's a good one to keep in mind, especially for those of us living in and around DC. They accept emailed submissions, with the $5 reading fee payable through PayPal, according to their Web site, although the call for submissions doesn't mention a reading fee.

LLB

5 Comments:

Blogger Hebdomeros said...

Thanks for mentioning the ad. I heard they were on hiatus, but sounds like they are back. You might need the exclamation point (!) to find it. On their cover, it's always Wordwrights!, to enhance your excitement.

I have a soft spot for them, since they published my first non-trashy sf piece. They lean towards work that's slightly askew, and do seem to take preference to those local to D.C. They also put out chapbooks by a lot of local people (one being a guy who dresses up like a pirate and is now doing a cable access show for kids). The editor Ron is pretty wacky; I run into him once or twice a year at readings still. I usually say hello, even though I know he has no idea who I am.

3:59 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

That's really cool, and it's always good to learn of markets that skew to us locals! :) That's so cool that they published your story -- I can see why the soft spot. Do they only publish chapbooks or is it a magazine? Is it in bookstore circulation or do you have to order them? I have obviously not done enough of my homework.. market research can be such an immense undertaking sometimes... I should write for a sample copy immediately, come to think of it, I think they even said they provide them for free.

11:46 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Oops again -- I've edited the post to put the two words together and add the exclamation point. Thank you!

12:28 AM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

Wordwrights! is a magazine put out by Argonne Hotel Press. Argonne also puts out chapbooks. I think the mag is quarterly, but don't hold me to that. It used to be tabloid sized with a glossy photo on the cover, but last year they went to a more newsprint style (cheaper, I suppose).

They used to carry them all over the place. I even ran across it once in a Books-A-Million in Winchester, Va. of all places. But I think now the only place you can get it is the Writers Center in Bethesda or by mail. My subscription ran out early last year, so I'm a little foggy on their current state.

12:08 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Oh my gosh, in Winchester! How funny!

I think I will definitely look into getting a sample copy or anteing up for one. Thanks for the heads up! It rings a bell that it's only available at Writers Center, actually...

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home