Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Prodigal Blogger

I was very touched to see that Maktaaq had posted about my return on her blog -- one of the best and most well written blogs out there. If you haven't already, be sure to check out her site -- here lately it has featured a very charming cutie named Lucian among many other interesting and fun posts.

I have had two short stories published in e-zines during my blogging hiatus. However I've started to think that my goal needs to go to the next level: to get published in a print publication or at least a publication that pays; many aspiring writers know that's easier said than done. I do appreciate any exposure my stories get through e-zines -- after all, when you've got a day job, you can write as a labor of love as opposed to just plain labor -- but with my roommate having moved to India and money being tight since I've decided to live alone, things are going to be a little bit sparse around here.

Of course, my new goals are subject to a lot of flexibility. After all, this summer it seems like everywhere I turn when I'm researching markets finds magazines that have gone on hiatus or aren't accepting new submissions until, say, October (which of course is getting closer all the time, come to think of it).

Then there are the non-responders -- magazines you submit to that never respond, nor do they respond to queries. That is a frequent subject of my rants because it really wastes a writer's time. But that's another post for another time.

Thanks for reading and keep on writing,

LLB

5 Comments:

Blogger MKD said...

Welcome back.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

Thanks for the nice words!

I've only published one piece all year, but it was a nonfiction piece for a museum professional magazine. I won't have time to do any more for a while, so this is the second year that my vows to get published for money take a backseat to, um, cleaning the garage.

Keep working at it - I know you can do it. Any ideas where you'd submit?

11:48 AM  
Blogger asianpixie said...

Since money is tight, does that mean that there will be a cutback on Diet Coke and cigarettes? Or will the diet become only Diet Coke and cigarettes? ;)

10:31 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Thanks mkd! BTW, your blog is a hoot!

Maktaaq -- that is great about that one piece! That is still a victory and don't worry, publication for pay is in your future, I know it is! Sometimes life sure gets in the way of the writing life. And trust me I know all about the cleaning these days, although I don't have a garage!

asianpixie -- hahaha, I am totally thinking about the diet coke and cigs habits! Right now I've been stocking up whenever I see the cokes on sale and keep looking at my cigs thinking, man it'd be cheaper if I cut back. ;) Give it a month and I'll let you know my progress with the diet and whether it's declined into just those two things. ;)

8:19 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Oh... where to submit... the usual suspects that always turn me down. ;) Those paying pubs have been snubbing me for YEARS! Glimmer Train, New Yorker, Missouri Review, McSweeney's... I can guarantee a high failure rate if history is any judge. ;)

I did run across a magazine called Narrative that pays -- I had never submitted to them before so I gave it a swing recently. Again I don't have high hopes but it's nice to hit a new market. ;)

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home