Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The Stival

HFStival, that is.

Hey guys -- I did survive it. Hebdomeros was right, Interpol is good live -- they were tight and didn't really diverge off of their studio sound. Except at the end of the set the guitarist slammed down his guitar and charged off. We wondered if there were technical difficulties because Echo and the Bunnymen only played for about 3 1/2 minutes.

The turnout was actually pretty good, considering the fact that the festival no longer has its own station on the FM dial to promote it. However, there were about 10,000 of the same girl there. Luckily, I did not see any of these girls showing their boobs to guys, as Miss L described from an HFStival past. Doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

So onto that idea that several of you have put forth... yep, I did feel kinda old looking around me. There were a lot of youngsters doing youngster things. However, I had a good time -- despite the fact that the sky opened up later and I got drenched. I haven't willingly gotten so drenched in years.

Meanwhile as an old-school (former) punk I had a hard time with the fact that there was moshing/pits/crowd surfing for EVERY band. Including They Might Be Giants, for example. I mean, what the hell? That's a travesty. Not to bust on that band, they're fun, but I file that under the category of "inappropriate moshing/crowd surfing" -- in fact I'm not sure any of the acts really deserved any slamming etc., you know?

Believe it or not, as much as I have been making fun of Billy Idol's presence on the roster (third to last act!), I have to admit -- he was very enjoyable. He looks good for a 50-year-old and it was rather endearing that while he is definitely trying to recreate his old persona, he seemed to genuinely get a kick out of the whole thing and put forth that persona with a sense of humor. What also weirded me out was I had no idea there was some sort of closeted Billy Idol following but apparently there is. The crowd ate him up. Surprises, surprises.

Good Charlotte bites. My friend and I observed that their singer was wearing a tee shirt for his own band, would entreat the crowd to cheer, and also entreated them to light up their lighters. (These really aren't things that any self-respecting band leader should do, IMHO.) Could have done without that act.

Anyhoo, despite the fact that I can be bitter and snarky about the things that have changed since I was a young punk, it was a good time. I am glad I went.

In other news, I finished Stiff by Mary Roach. It's a good read, interesting, informative, funny in parts -- though not for the squeamish. I felt it lost a little of its momentum or something towards the end, like all the really good topics were all at the beginning, but maybe that's just me. It was a good and quick read as long as you're not too bothered by the morbid or that taboo... some of it definitely makes some good fodder for horror writers, I would imagine.

LLB

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How were the NY Dolls?

9:17 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Didn't Coldplay show up as well? I suspect Good Charlotte was the main draw, huh? Sucks that a crappy band from Waldorf gets more kudos than a much better home-grown Fugazi. Did you get a shirt?

9:08 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

So Echo did play? My friend said they were supposed but had cancelled. Hrmmm.

Well, I commend you for braving the festival. Do you know of a line-up listed anywhere online?

You should come out to Galaxy Hut tonight! There won't be any moshing, I promise.

9:09 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

NY Dolls were good but David Johansen looked like he was about to play.

Coldplay did play, but my friend and I left when the thunderstorm happened and everybody had to hide out in the concourse for a while. It was 9 or 10 so we figured we had had enough anyway.

Good Charlotte is from Waldorf. No wonder.

Yes, Echo played maybe one song. Maybe. And then they just left the stage. I'm soooo serious.

Hey I have no problem with APPROPRIATE moshing. Heee. And you should be able to see the lineup online... just google hfstival. Wish I could come out tonight, but I have to be on a bus at 7am tomorrow morning. Trust me, this is going to be difficult even if I do go to bed early.

12:57 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Oops, David Johansen looked like he was about to die, not play. ;)

12:57 PM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

Sounds like a fun time, and glad to see Billy Idol still has it, whatever it is. Some rockers just never lose the touch, I suppose.

I've seen Good Charlotte before, right around the time that their album hit, and they are complete poseurs. Always have been, always will be. There's nothing punk about them once you scrape away the glitzy veneer of their insincere tatoos and piercings. Punk still exists, just not with bands like them.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

I am one of the closet Billy Idol fans.

I think his tape was the first I ever got as a youngster. Or maybe it was Depeche Mode. But I was a big fan nevertheless.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

great review. i was pleased to hear that Billy Idol's charm has not waned. there's something to be said for authenticity. your line about "10,000 of the same girl" cracked me up! perfect summation. i don't know what they look like in your neck of the woods but the cookie cutter has run amuck in california, too.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home