Thursday, April 28, 2005

Bliss

Well I know we have all manner of writers who stop by here either regularly or on occasion. So my question is, to reveal your best acceptance of a piece of fiction. I would love to hear any or all stories in that regard, but I am particularly curious to hear from those of you who have been published by some of the big names, like The New Yorker. Did they call you about the acceptance? Write to you? Were they timely in paying? How did it feel to get a nice big check for a piece of fiction?

Hoping to hear from some of you about that. So far, since all of my publications have been for online magazines, all of my communications have been via email. Which is, of course, great -- I would never complain. But I have yet to be sent a check... or even copies of a magazine I've been published in. So I'm curious for some stories!

Thanks for reading,

LLB

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been in a mag like the New Yorker, although I got a nice handwritten rejection from Esquire once. That didn't come with any payment.

Once I got accepted to a prominent web mag with a revision suggestion, did the revisions, sent the piece in, and never heard back from them. I have at other times been rejected by this same journal within 20 minutes of submitting.

So, no good stories - acceptances have come via email, and I've been paid in copies which I display proudly on my bookshelf.

9:44 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Wow, a handwritten rejection from Esquire -- I would be so totally proud of that! I hate to say it, but even getting a handwritten rejection from a mag like that would almost be like getting accepted for me. ;)

the revision story... that sucks. That's like having something great given to you... and then taken away.

Those are good enough stories for me! :)

11:14 PM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

The only place that paid me for writing was Wordwrights. It was a glowing start, because it was the first story I ever sent out. The day it was accepted was also the same day I was accepted for grad school. Made me feel like a real writer...signing a contract, correcting galleys...all for $35.

Unfortunately, my acceptance percentage has gone down considerably since then.

8:38 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Ha, I know you'll get more acceptances. It's a tough biz. But yeah, that kind of stinks to have an acceptance, galleys, checks, the whole works, and then be like, hey, I thought this was EASY! :)

Keep the faith! That $35 is still a lot more than I've managed! :)

6:28 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

The best I've gotten was published in a couple of print journals, with the contributor's copies and such. However, the acceptances at those journals were almost as automated as their rejections. The most attention I've ever received was from the smaller journals, including one recently that put "...accepted..." in the subject line so there was no skipping of the heart as one opens the e-mail to discern the fate of their submission!

I have been paid for nonfiction stuff, though, like art and book reviews and such. I think my biggest was Baltimore Magazine, but I really don't remember how much I was paid, and it was a small "upcoming events" type piece on a local artist with national rep.

5:17 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Wow weird -- just getting a note saying "accepted" -- somehow that has never been part of my fantasies of getting published!

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home