Thursday, April 21, 2005

The SuperEgo

So, this is just a funny factoid because I know a few of us have done this (and because it's late and I'm tired and going to bed soon, haha). But the act of "Googling yourself" can also be called "ego surfing."

I do it all the time (well, not all the time but probably more than I'd like to admit) and I know many of you do. I have also had a few writers and editors email me because they have also done it and found themselves on my blog. It's so funny, though, we all seem to admit to it sheepishly but I think it's part of the whole writers thing. If you're published you want to know what people are saying about you. It's a natural impulse but I always get nervous right before I hit that enter button.

Anyway, I thought that was funny, and with that, I will close. Happy surfing! :)

LLB

6 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq said...

Oh, then I am always ego surfing...but it's because I have this deep-seated fear that someone will stalk me as a result of my appearing on some obscure webpage. So I need to make sure my profile stays low and off scary people's radar.

I dread to find anything by me. I once found something I wrote a gazillion years ago and it struck me as very stupid writing. I am looking for a nice pseudonym which I can use as a shield against youthful indiscretions.

2:09 AM  
Blogger asianpixie said...

(hangs head) Guilty of ego surfing. I am also guilty of surfing for other people that are either in my life or those I have lost touch with. It is quite scary what you can find about people on the Internet.

Nice shout out to Freud. As we would politely say in the psychology world, he was an "interesting" man.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

Guilty as charged.

I usually do it to see if any of my book reviews are getting quoted/sampled on various sites, but if other things pop up...well, that's just a bonus.

11:18 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Maktaaq -- that's a perfectly good reason to ego surf! You've got to watch your back! Youthful indiscretions, haha. Reminds me of that short story that I didn't like that got accepted by an e-zine and I swear, it was up for like a year. I'd kind of grit my teeth every time I saw it.

Asianpixie-- yep, I'm also guilty of looking up people on the Web, like people I've lost touch with. Sometimes I even email them... I found an old friend from college a few weeks ago and we've been emailing on and off, which is cool. It's interesting how much easier it is to find lost friends now than it used to be.

Hebdomeros -- it's always good to have those bonuses, isn't it? Ha...

9:36 AM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

Aside from a lost friend I am happy to leave in the past (aka The Stalker), I was thrilled when a childhood friend contacted me. She even invited me to her wedding in Paris.

I wish more of my lost best friends would look me up. I found it really flattering!

12:36 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Hee hee -- yeah, none of us want to find any of thosse lost stalkers -- those people can STAY in the past!

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home