Thursday, May 12, 2005

Whoa

Okay, I'm having a "whoa, what happened" moment. I blogged on 5/8 and now here it is, 5/12 and I am not sure where the time went.

Well there are the usual excuses and plans of action. Work (tough this week), gaming, working out, and reading, and I just haven't been on blogger. Not that I've had all that much compelling to say.

At any rate, I lied last time about diving into Black Clock. Instead, I'm reading Stiff by Mary Roach. I decided I needed a temporary break from fiction for the moment, and Stiff fits that bill. And boy, is it ever different than just about anything, so far. It's about the curious "lives" of human cadavers. (I'm sure you guys have heard of it.) I'm impressed so far that somebody could take such a taboo subject and actually write about it (not to mention have a sense of humor about it as well). It's a nice blend of history and investigative reporting, I guess, on a topic that most of us don't spend too much time contemplating. Disturbing? Yes. But it's definitely interesting and thought provoking.

I'm not done with it yet though, so this isn't exactly a full review.

This weekend I am going to HFStival. Mostly to see Interpol really, although an aging Billy Idol and New York Dolls might be interesting just for the weird factor. I'm thinking I'm far too old for the all-day festival sort of mayhem, but we'll see how it goes. I'm not sure what will happen if it rains. (Which also ties into the whole "being old" thing, I don't recall rain deterring me from much back as a young punk.)

Also interesting, how does a festival happen for an HFS that is actually not really itself any longer? Just a shadow of its former self, on Internet radio and sharing time with others on a different radio station. It should be interesting... I might be tempted to get souvenirs just because.

LLB

5 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq said...

I was wondering where you were!

The truth is, I am taking a vacation from blogging too. Another week, then I'll get back to work.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yeah, Catherine is going as well. I'd like to see some of the bands, but I'm not willing to subject myself to a stadium full of drunk youngsters anymore. I understand the Pixies will be at Merriweather in June.

I began Stiff but put it down for something else...I'll have to get back to it. Our book club is readind Freakonomics, which I haven't started yet. We've been on a nonfiction kick.

3:11 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Yeah, I'm telling you, sometimes those blog vacations are good Maktaaq! I'm looking forward to your return of course...

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about my trip... someone else who's going was vetting the whole "drunken youngsters" thing the other day. I'm gonna feel OLD dammit!

And I am going to see the Pixies again in June...

Funny, I just ordered Freakonomics myself... doubt it will be next on my list after Stiff though...

7:57 PM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

Interpol is decent live. I saw them at the Curiosa fest last year. They pretty much play songs note for note like the album, but still really good.

Billy Idol would be a hoot, especially if he can still fit into those pants and curl his lips into his trademark sneer. Have a good time!

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope this HFSestival is better than the one I attended. Went sophmore year of college because a friend gave me a free ticket. And even being a sophmore, I felt old. Saw waaaaaaaayyyyy too many young gals exposing their breasts to pathetic, drooling guys, most of whom took photos. Maybe this will be different? But after seeing about thirty or more girls do this, I felt quite discouraged.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home