Saturday, April 30, 2005

A D.C. State of Mind

Yeah, I'm lame, I've been reading Gargoyle for months now. My reading rate is so slow between work, my iPod, and now some friends of mine have gotten me into a multiplayer game on the Internet... and I told you guys before that I'm trying to squeeze working out at the gym into my mostly sedentary regimen so I guess reading has fallen by the wayside. I know, for a writer, that's pretty awful.

But I have to say, on an overall level, one of the things that tickles me with Gargoyle is how these DCisms creep in. Mostly in terms of place -- like one story mentioned DC watering hole The Fox and Hounds, which is where my roommate spends most of her Friday afternoons/nights. (Happy hour? Bah! Hahaha.)

Anyway, it's nice that not only is Gargoyle such a grand lit mag, that it highlights the DC experience a little bit -- and not in that whole Beltway, politico type thing.

I mean, it's weird... DC is so well known for politics but I realized quite recently that I manage to stay really, really uninvolved in that aspect of things. Screw the Hill. Ha.

Anyway, it's just a thought for a rainy Saturday, where I am actually waiting directions for the events of the day. I feel like taking a nap, though. (Ugh, more sedentary behavior!)

P.S. I did submit a story this morning and work on one that's still being kicked around on my desktop, so I'm not a complete writing failure lately! Haha...

LLB

3 Comments:

Blogger Hebdomeros said...

I've actually met people from outside the area who don't realize people actually live in D.C. Either that or I get the requisite question: "Uhhh...ever meet the president?"

Yes, D.C. is politics. But it's not all politics.

2:17 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Oh my gosh, that is so funny.

It's so funny, having lived here all my life, it seems so weird to think people come here to sightsee downtown and see things like the Capitol and all. And of course, having lived here all my life, there are tons of things I don't get around to doing, which is odd too.

But yeah, it's funny, you can kind of avoid politics and politicians altogether if you want to.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if u want an ipod, you can go to www.getipodsforfree.com and do an offer. follow the instructions and they'll actually send you a freeipod, no joke, there's reviews all over the internet

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home