Thursday, January 13, 2005

A Step Back

Yep, two steps forward, one step back...

Since I seem to write a lot about relationships (when I'm not writing horror, hahaha), I have tried a gazillion times (ok, exaggeration) to get into Conversely, an online magazine that supposedly pays $100 and prints fiction about relationships.

They also have a snazzy online submission process.

Anyway, given my frequent attempts, I know that they happen to have two tiers of form rejections, one that says, generically, "Thanks for sending this, we don't want this" and another that says, "Thanks for sending this, please send us more." (This is, of course, all paraphrased.)

I was heartened that my last couple submissions to them, I kept getting the "good" one: PLEASE SEND MORE.

Today, I got the very generic one, the "ew, we don't care if you don't us another story" one.

Ah well, two steps forward, one step back. I guess to look on the bright side of it all, I need to analyze what was different about the other couple stories and how this one is not as good -- or maybe it's not that it's not as good, but how it's different. (In all seriousness, I'm not sure that it's my strongest piece, but anyhoo.)

Ah, the writing life!

Thanks for reading,

LLB

1 Comments:

Blogger Hebdomeros said...

It's hard to know exactly what mags want. Particularly if they're large enough to use different levels of screeners before it even hits the editor. What one screener might like, another might not.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home