Thursday, January 13, 2005

All-Expense Paid Trip to Amazon(.com)

I was the happy recipient of a windfall today -- a $100 Amazon.com gift certificate is on its way to me in the near future. Now, that's really going to brighten my January, considering this month is generally a time when you batten down your hatches, freeze your fanny off, and don't really buy much since the holidays just depleted all your resources. (Not to mention, I'm going to be super strapped because I have ordered my plane ticket and have a hotel for New Orleans first weekend in March. Whee!)

So anyway, so far on my mental wish list is Anthony Kiedis's Scar Tissue and Kelly Link's collection of short stories, Stranger Things Happen, and probably the latest issue of Gargoyle. (I love how I've already decided these things before I've officially received said gift certificate, but anyway.)

Maybe some music too, or some DVDs. After all, I have a reading list a mile long, of stuff I already have floating around this apartment. I am sooo excited. Anybody have any must-have reading/music/movies to suggest? $100 doesn't go that far, of course, but with free shipping... whoohoo!

(Yes, I am easily delighted.)

Thanks for reading,

LLB

3 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq said...

I am hesitant to recommend anything that requires as much commitment as buying it.

Krazy Kat comics have a unique take on language with a mixture of dialect, ebonics (or whatever it's supposed to be), big words, and Spanish.

12:24 AM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

For music, I give high marks to the new Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. It's a little more mainstream than I remember him, but it's a really good album. Reminds me of Bowie in some small ways, and Tom Waits in ways even smaller. But that maybe because they are two of my longtime faves. My other musical obsession right now is Tomahawk; pretty indie-rock stuff but fun.

I just got Scar Tissue to review at my magazine meeting last night! It looks like fun.

Definitely get the newest Gargoyle and the Kelly Link.

9:31 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Thanks for the ideas, guys! I'll check out Krazy Kat, and the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds album is not a bad idea at all. I can't wait for the others too... and just the absolute aimless browsing I'm going to do!

I'm also pretty sure I have a few things in my "saved for later" queue too. I haven't been there for a while, so there's probably something I forgot wanting that I'll end up getting too...

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home