Monday, January 10, 2005

Irony

I've been wondering if maybe my work's not ironic enough for today's literary marketplace. I see short stories out there that blow me away -- they're ironic, cynical, and so funny. It's the brand of fiction that I see a lot in Gargoyle, and what I think Barrelhouse is working to achieve.

Now, my sort of odd stream-of-conscious stuff I wrote 10 years ago seems to be doing very well in recent times, which people like to joke with me that I was before my time. Ha.

However, these days, I'm not really doing the stream-of-consciousness stuff so much. My stuff now is much more straightforward and although I think I definitely have a wack voice at times, I wonder if it's a little dark, a little bitter, a little melodramatic (eek!), but not exactly funny or cynical.

Ah well, no use beating oneself up about what one's "voice" is like. Although I have to say I am so jealous of those people who have those wondrous ways with words and make me laugh at the crazy stuff they come up with.

Thanks for reading,

LLB

4 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq said...

Ironic and cynical sound symptomatic of the times and will go away as fashion changes.

Or I could be wrong. But I think there is a reader for every style.

1:25 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I think one must play to their strengths. Our styles are a reflection of who we are, and I think people ultimately respond to that. Besides, who lists a McSweeney's piece five years down the line as being one of their favorite stories ever?

9:05 AM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

Good point. Humor, irony, all that stuff tend not to last as long for whatever reason. With a few major exceptions, of course.

Stick to your strengths on what you send out; there's still a wide variety of work out there. But if you're feeling frustrated, it never hurts to try something different just to see if you can do it.

11:07 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. It's just weird to feel like you're "out of style" or something, with your voice. Because that comes to the whole "what if I can't accomplish this" insecurity. I especially like the knock against McSweeney's. :) Heh.

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home