Friday, January 14, 2005

Grendahl

I finished Dhalgren last night, and while I have a ton to say about it, I think I'm going to hold off for a bit. Just because -- all I have to say is WOW and I haven't quite collected my thoughts yet.

At any rate, I also had a question. What does everybody think of the magazine Ploughshares? Now that I'm on the literary magazine mailing lists, I got a piece of marketing from them and wondered if it was worth a subscription. I made that mistake with Glimmer Train, ordering a subscription when most of the content actually annoyed me and pissed me off. I suppose if nobody reads Ploughshares, I should just go to the bookstore and maybe get a sample copy.

Meanwhile, check out BBC America's web site if you get the chance. Actually, here's the link to what I'm referring to. They're running a short story contest, and the winner gets an iBook. Your story has to be about a theme from Canterbury Tales. (Sadly, I don't remember much about Canterbury Tales from college, but I'm thinking I could easily tackle "lust.") For my part, the difficulty is that I don't have stories under 2,000 words, my lusty stories tend to be about 3,000, so I might have to pare one to enter.

Anyway, I think it's interesting for 2 reasons: 1) because it is givin away an iBook 2) because it is sparking up interest in reading and of course, 3) because it's sparking up an interest in writing. Awesome.

Thanks for reading,

LLB

9 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq said...

I found out about that contest when I was in Chicago! There was an ad for it at my friend's library. In fact, I am brainstorming what I can write about. Unfortunately, one US residents can enter...but I have the means...bwa ha ha!

I don't read Ploughshares, but recently I haven't been able to concentrate on anything. Oh, it's getting late and I need to wake up at seven tomorrow...that's probably why I am dull & listless these days.

Good night & good luck!

2:04 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Hahaha, you have your means for entering -- good luck! Go for it!!!!

I haven't looked into it fully but I guess with a Canterbury Tales theme, there should be a moral at the end? My stuff generally does not have any moral value whatsoever. ;)

I hope you got some rest! Getting up at 7am on a Saturday?? That does NOT happen with me!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

Pooped I most definitely am this morning. My schedule is rather weird because I work at a museum. I am going to see about getting a second job too! Yowza!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

But it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a moral. I find that morals have just evolved into something new, though the old morals are still in place in certain circles...

12:42 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Second job! Eek! I have my moments when I think of my woeful ability to run through too much money (these days, I don't even know how I manage, though my credit card debt I'm trying to pay down doesn't help) and entertain the notion of taking a part-time coffee shop or bookstore job or something... then I realize I'm already crapped out from my day job in the first place and if I took a second job it would probably kill me. Thus my obsession with getting paid for fiction... ;)

I commend you though... I commend all people who have 2 jobs. I just don't think I could ever do it.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

Well, I do want to move. I figure I will need a lot of money for that. Hmm, a bookstore job would be a little dangerous for someone like me.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

Bookstore jobs are dangerous. I had a nice discount at one, but it took all my strength to avoid blowing my paychecks every week!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

I found out my company had a 20% discount at the biggest bookstore in western Canada. Luckily I discovered this just before I moved on to my new job. I pretty well killed my last paycheque, though. Imagine working there?

12:03 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Ha, the dangers of bookstores... I think you guys are absolutely right, come to think of it.

My houseguest actually loaded me up with books from his bookstore job when he was in town... apparently he gets some kind of advance copies -- maybe they're review copies, I'm not sure -- for free. That's where I got Diary, and it was a lucky break, because that pre-Christmas bookstore splurge I had, I had that book in my hand and luckily, I put it back! Because I did luck out and get it for free in the end...

2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home