Sunday, February 06, 2005

The Part Where I Procrastinate

Yep, I said earlier that I need to be doing writing -- for work. Yes, for work. So far, I've managed to do all kinds of shit that has nothing to do with the part of my work that is really looming.

Okay, I do have to give myself credit for working on the Valentines' Day feature piece, which is due tomorrow COB. That's progress. I should be able to clean that up the rest of the way at work tomorrow and turn it in, no problem.

However, of course, before I pat myself on the back too terribly much, there's also this really big-deal writeup I have to do -- complete with research -- and I haven't even started that. All I have done so far is print up the email with some of the important bullet points about the assignment. Print it up, stare at the computer screen, visit a blog. Stare at the sheet of paper, decide it's time to check my horoscope. Look at the paper, decide to write a blog post about procrastinating.

I really want to watch a movie or something. Or tend to my gouged thumb. Or sleep on the couch with the windows open with the springtime-like air blowing in.

Hmm... I hate this. Whenever something looms over my head, I'll find ninety other things I feel compelled to do before digging into it. I sit here thinking I should clean my room... No, No, NO! Of course I do need to clean my room, but not when I have a major assignment to work on. I need to get it at least halfway done before I can safely say to myself that I'll just finish it tomorrow at work...

I just wanted to share, and, of course, procrastinate by doing so.

I salute those of you who are doing something fun, like perhaps drinking some beer, eating some chips and ribs, and watching the Superbowl.

LLB

5 Comments:

Blogger Broadsheet said...

I'm watching the game and cooking (Lamb and lentil curry). My way of procrastinating on life. Stuff I intended to do this weekend and didn't?: Taxes; dropping off a bag of clothes to Good Will; the dry cleaners; returning DVDs (how great is it that Blockbuster does't have late fees anymore???); yoga class. I did accomplish 6 loads of laundery, but getting it folded and put away? Not so much.

Good luck with that. I feel your pain.

6:11 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Wow, do you need a roomie? You've always got something great cooking. :) Hee hee.

Yeah, I hear you. i needed to do a bunch of stuff like that too -- like dropping off dry cleaning and taxes. I am just getting to laundry now (as I procrastinate on this project -- suddenly it seemed like the movie "Underworld" might seem like good background noise, which means I am mostly watching it. Ha.) I have 3 Netflix movies I wanted to watch and didn't even get to do that. Sigh.

Have fun! Thanks for commiserating. :)

8:14 PM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

My journal's full of pages like I don't write enough and You're such a lazy sack. Why don't you write more?. I'm great at making excuses. If only I was creative enough to turn all those pages about procrastinating into something useful.

I worked this weekend, so my superbowl fun consisted of getting home from work about 9:00, fixing some couscous and salad for dinner and watching the original Night of the Living Dead. I'm not much of a football fan, so it was a good night for me. Good luck with the article. Hopefully if you're reading this, you're much closer to finishing!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hmm,now I feel a little freakish because I thrive on not procrastinating. If the weekend is bumper to bumper with chores and engagements, I feel like I've accomplished something. Yet I do all these things so I'll have the fabled "time to relax" when it's all said and done. And what do I do then? Plan what I'll be doing the next day.

10:53 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Hee hee, Hebdomeros, that sounds like a perfect way to spend the super bowl! Watching the original Night of the Living Dead... is there a new zombie Romero film coming out? I think I'm hearing rumblings... like I said, suddenly watching "Underworld" which I've seen like 3 or 4 times seemed like a good thing to do... sigh.

Jen, you spend your down time planning your next day? That is so good. You're so lucky that you don't have the Procrastination gene.

So, I did do a lot of the assignment, but then kind of crapped out and planned on asking for a little extra time today, I"d been given the impression that there was a little "wiggle room" -- er, unfortunately, there wasn't and I ended up banging it all out today (and had to cancel 2 other deadlines). I feel like I've been hit by a mack truck...

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home