Thursday, January 27, 2005

Alice

All right, so tonight I was too tired and braindead so I didn't have anything proper for Rabbit Hole Day that Maktaaq let us know about. So, I figured there is a veritable cornucopia of (weird!) songs featuring Alices. (And no, I don't tolerate the Jefferson Airplane song in the least, even though it's the clearest Alice in Wonderland reference.) Let's sing along!

Two of my personal favorites are "Alice" by Sisters of Mercy and "Alice's House" by Psychedelic Furs. Both are a bit eerie in their own ways. It's not like Alice in Wonderland wasn't a weird and unsettling book.

Also, for the smell of Alice In Wonderland, try Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs. Check under Mad Tea Party -- highlights include a scent called Jabberwocky and, of course, Alice, which is quite nice. Some of the scents might make you feel just a tad transported down some kind of rabbit hole...

And it really was a kitten after all. -- Lewis Carroll.

LLB

5 Comments:

Blogger Hebdomeros said...

And you said you didn't have any weirdness to share. That black phoenix stuff is pretty wild!

As far as songs, Tom Waits has a whole album based around the Lewis Carroll stories. I think it's actually the music for a play his wife wrote. Pretty bizarre, often carnivalesque music.

8:02 AM  
Blogger maikopunk said...

makes me sing a bar or two of "You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant". I'd sing it out loud but don't want to scare the office people who are doing actual work, whatever it is that they do.
Rabbit Hole day, eh? This is the sort of thing I could only become aware of by blogging. Our random thoughts and ideas travelling across the world, people everywhere falling into their rabbit holes and reporting back on what it looks like.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

You've smelled Alice?

How do you buy perfumes online? I would be buying things with interesting ingredients that turn out smelling foul...and smell is just as subjective as the other senses.

Though I am tempted...

12:47 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Hee hee, Hebdomeros, yep, it is a pretty weird site! Believe it or not, "Burial" smells good... as does "Malediction." And "Voodoo" is awesome. I prefer the ones with the patchouli tones... (p.s., Tom Waits made me want to cry once -- therefore I've never really gotten into him! Maybe I was too hasty.)

Which brings us to Maktaaq's question -- how to buy the fragrances online? Well, my friend who turned me onto the site is an "expert" shopper there. She's got, like, a ton of the fragrances and brought me a little black box full of samples. Apparently the woman who runs the lab is very good about sending samples. Which is good -- these kinds of oils may smell good in the bottle, but might not smell good on certain people -- I guess what with different people's body chemistry and such. Some end up smelling "powdery," etc. So, if you're interested, you couldn't go wrong to request a few of those before you buy...

Haha, Maikopunk, indeed -- Alice's Restaurant is the one that most often springs to mind upon mention of the name "Alice"! It is pretty cool that the blogosphere produced such a fun thing to do...

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonjour LadyLitBlitzin, mon nom est Anastasie. que j'aime votre blog, je voudrais voir encore plus. J'ai un lien à ma photo préférée là. Au revoir

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home