Monday, January 24, 2005

Cancel My Monday

All right, so I'm not feeling well today so I'm not at work nor am I even working at home. I'm not sure what it is, kind of a big case of "ick" followed by the feeling that my brain's not working properly. I just woke up, what a long winter's nap that was. Hopefully I'll be back in tip-top shape for Tuesday.

Anyway, I need some help with a short story character's employment. Anyone have ideas on an occupation that's usually described as "noble," or some adjective of that ilk, and doesn't pay a lot? I had originally used "teacher" (my roommate's occupation, and it is noble and doesn't pay much) but thought maybe I should try to think of something else since that was the first thing that came to mind. She suggested someone who works for an organization like Greenpeace or PETA, which I think is a good idea. She also suggested police officer or firefighter but let's just say, I don't peg this character as either of those. The character is a male.

Another thing, the character is kind of slacker, emotionally anyway, so therefore, I'd say that "teacher" or any other number of those occupations doesn't really compute. He's in his mid-30s.

Any other suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Thanks for reading,

LLB

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Custodians and garbage truck drivers are overlooked in their nobility. Same with nightly cleaning crews. Nurses are definitely underpaid for their important services. Anything in the non-profit realm.

-L

4:17 PM  
Blogger M.B.S. said...

I'd have to go with anonymous--something in the non-profit sector. Maybe an art program, battered women's program, or children's education program. Or something dealing with international relations

10:51 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Thanks guys!

12:51 PM  
Blogger Broadsheet said...

Agggh - blogger ate my comment! I'll post again:

I'm currently reading a REALLY good book my ex boyfriend gave to me for Xmas: "Extreme Sex and Other Desperate Measures". It's about 3 (2 male, one female)UN peacekeepers in the early 1990's.

"Idealism, financial need, thirst for adventure and the desire to be a part of history bring them there, and the high they get from doing their work keeps them flitting around the globe, looking for hot spots to help cool down.....From Cambodia, Somalia and Haiti, to Bosnia, Rwanda and Liberia, [they] find death, sex, bureaucratic betrayal, sex, liberation from their pasts and seamy, regret-tainted sex amid the body parts and rotting flesh. Infuriating, heart-wrenching and well written, their tale is compelling both as a bottom-up look at U.N. peacekeeping efforts during the 1990s and a testimonial from the people who put their lives and sanity on the line for the sake of a simple idea - peace."

2:13 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

I hate it when Blogger starts acting up. Which it seems to be doing right now.

That sounds like an awesome book! wow.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

Linda, I've been mulling for a long time now over how I can get into the UN and go to the "hotspots" of the world. If I were in Asia and vacationing, you can bet I'd be in Thailand identifying the dead.

Litblitz, I hope you feel better today!

I agree with the anonymous on your questions. I hope it is the comments of "anonymous" I mean to agree with...

12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home