Monday, January 17, 2005

Structural Breakdown

Does anybody know if there's a way, in Word, to create two columns throughout an entire document and be able to write in both the columns consecutively? The columns function doesn't seem to be allowing me to do this, which seems stupid to me. Any advice?

Yes, it's for a short story. I want to show two episode's in one person's life, juxtapositioned next to each other on the page. I wouldn't think that this should be this hard, of course.

Thanks,

LLB

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

It looks like you'll want to use linked text boxes rather than columns (as Word understands them). Which version of Office do you have? In mine, I found how to do this by searching help for topics on columns which led to a subject called "laying out text in a newsletter-style document." There, I found a subtopic called "Flow stories in parallel, or side-by-side, "columns" from page to page" which shows how to do what you're trying to do.

Hope this helps.

7:00 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Ah, very nice. I was suspecting that I might have to use text boxes, but your hint will likely help me use text boxes in a better way than I would have done it. I'll see if I can search for that specifically.

I actually don't have Office, I have an ancient version of Word for Mac.

And of course my next big question is, what the hell is that column function for. ;)

11:05 PM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

When I read your comment above, LLB, about having "an ancient version of Word," I thought, Oh my god, poor girl. Today I got a present on loan from my dad - a laptop! Now I can write anywhere!!!!! But it's only got Word...oh poo...

(Nevertheless, thanks, Dad!)

10:32 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

A laptop! That's so awesome! Now you can be a mobile blogger/writer! That rocks!

I'm still waiting for my iBook... like the money is going to drop in my lap or something. Ha. There is always the BBC America contest of course...

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home