Sunday, January 23, 2005

The Aftermath

So I was just pretending it was really bad outside -- so what! Ha. After eating a lot of mediocre food and watching rather mediocre movies (Stepford Wives, Resident Evil 2) this weekend, I finally ventured out today and the streets are very clear. I swear here in NoVA we hardly got a bit of snow -- maybe 2 inches, if that. However, the wind is gusty and wicked and it's cold. So I'm not too put out that I'm being a homebody today, too, with even more mediocre food that I just bought at the grocery store.

I also have something for work I should be tackling, and I'm desperately trying to procrastinate. The last couple weeks have had some deadlines there that I really haven't relished. And some new initiatives mean that I have more and more meetings to go to. Joy...

I'm still enjoying House of Leaves very much. I liked the rather long discussion on labyrinthes, as I have a tattoo of the labyrinthe from Chartres Cathedral -- which took years for me to decide that was the design I wanted for my second tattoo and I did a little reading on labyrinthes at the time. I'm sure the artist hated me when I walked in wanting that.

And imagine how difficult it was for me to fall asleep last night, considering the apartment was absolutely groaning and creaking from the gale force winds... not what you want to hear when you're reading something like House of Leaves! I didn't get out the tape measure though... ;)

Hope you're all enjoying your Sundays...

Thanks for reading,

LLB

6 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Two inches? Man, that is lucky. I think we got like seven here; just finished shoveling the front, the back, the cars, the deck, and my grandparent's house; I'm going to curl up with a McSweeney's anthology I got at the library (Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories) and maybe take a nap.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

We got about 2 inches at my home as well, and maybe 3 inches in downtown D.C. All the roads are pretty clear now. I'm jealous that you got more in Baltimore. It was a pretty snowfall, though. Lots of big flakes dancing around. I almost wish I had a kid so I'd have an excuse to go sledding.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Broadsheet said...

Yeah - watched both of those movies last week. I like Milla Jovovich a lot, and I liked the first Resident Evil, but this one was - eh. Stepford Wives had a great cast - too bad they couldn't do more with them. I watched a Buffy DVD this afternoon before the playoff game started.

I'm procrastinating on all sorts of things too. I may have to blame the weather. Tonight's menu is stuffed chicken breasts with guyere and spinach and a wine/mushroom sauce reduction. Chardonnay and "Desperate Housewives".

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LLB- Your tattoo sounds awesome! I have just one on the small of my back of a lotus. Not sure I'd get another, though I'm pretty pleased with the lotus. I love the idea of it: that lotuses, these beautiful flowers, grow even in the dingiest of places -that beauty and all it symbolizes can be found even within the darkest of times. I wish that always held true, as it doesn't, but it gives one something to hope for. I have friends with some interesting tattoos: Amazon woman brandishing a large sword, a bright, crimson Day of the Dead skull, and three crosses tucked into one friend's cleavage (all gals, mind you). What's your other tattoo?

Jen- Being also in B'more, I know exactly about the 7". Did not like being stuck inside my shoebox apartment all day on Saturday. Talk about stir crazy. Was beautiful though.

Linda- Sorry I missed dinner at your house! Though I did make a great pizza this weekend with the breadmaker.

Hebdomeros- You don't need a kid to go sledding. All you need is snow, snow, snow is all you need...

-L

11:30 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Oooh, Jen, I'm curious what you think of Enchanted Chamber, I read it and blogged about it recently...

And Hebdomeros, you don't have to be a kid to sled! My roommate and I went sledding on our big hill a few years ago, one of those big snowfalls, using trash bags. Yes, it's embarrassing but true. We were the big kids...

Linda, that's so funny that we both watched the same movies recently. I liked the first Resident Evil better than this one... like you say, it was just "eh." And I agree about Stepford Wives... it had some good moments but I ended up feeling like it should have been much more amazing with that cast. And your dinner sounds phenomenal -- I just watched two episodes of Desperate Housewives, too! I recently got into that show... it's much different than I thought it was (in a good way!) It's hilarious.

Miss L - that lotus sounds really cool! And trust me, it may be years later but you might feel the urge to get another... I had 10 years in between, got my first one at 21 and my second at 32. My other ones silly, a crescent moon and star, which I got because I was an insomniac in college. (Just a piece of flash off the wall.) I wanted my second one to be a little more interesting. I think the first one I got, I got just to be ornery (plus my bf at the time was paying -- he and I got our first ones together, he is now about 75% tattooed!) I love to hear about people's designs...

Good Lord why does tomorrow have to be Monday?? :/

11:43 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Oops, I meant I got my second at 31. There were 10 years exactly in between...

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home