Monday, January 17, 2005

Breaking Records

Okay, so I'm about to break my own record for number of insane blog postings in one day. What the hell? Maybe it's that there were a ton of other more constructive things I should have been doing today -- it's a bad habit.

Anyway, it's gonna be interesting when I'm out of material later in the week.

But anyway, Poppy Z. Brite's blog has a great posting about Bad Advice she's had as a writer. You may agree with some or all of it, or none of it, but I thought it was worth a look. In particular, I liked that she debunked the idea that short stories are useless for writers -- that novels are where it's at. (I guess I particularly liked that one since NaNoWriMo kind of nailed it home that I suck at writing novels, or even novellas, for that matter!)

Okay, it is bitter cold here in DC and my bedroom in this apartment always tends to be 10 degrees colder than the rest of the apartment (three windows on the end of the building explain the phenomenon -- an end unit sounded like such a grand idea when we signed the lease). Meanwhile, if I turn up the heat, my roommate roasts in her room -- what a design! So, I'm gonna go get on the thermal layers and the woolen socks (yes, I am such a sexy goddess) and hit the hay. And so I bid you all adieu for the night. Stay warm!

Thanks for reading,

LLB

5 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq said...

You're going to bed just when I'm starting? Actually it sounds like a good idea. I just wanted to write some more. But now I am absolutely knackered myself.

That part about treating your reader like a moron, I can never figure out. I don't know if I go overboard. Usually people are left scratching their heads at the big gaps. I think the story and characters might be so clear in my head, I forget to tell everyone else.

That write what you know stuff is pretty funny too. I have started my share of thinly veiled autobiographical novels that got too boring to continue.

One other thing, it's not really advice people give but something that some people think makes great writing, but, in my opinion, doesn't. I have noticed it in writing classes my friends and I have taken: some people love to describe "nature." There are these super florid descriptions of trees and ferns and sunsets and waves. Yawn, personally.

When I was in my last writing class and people would read out bits of their stories where it took the heroine forever to get through the forest because she was musing on nature, I had to poke myself to keep awake.

Or, if I was reading this sort of prose, I couldn't help but think some of the sentiments expressed might be better suited for the greeting card industry.

But then, I am more of a dialogue person.

6:15 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

I agree! If it's going to be a flowery description about nature it'd better be damn good to work. You know? That shit does get boring -- or like you said, greeting card-ish.

Write what you know... yeah, I am guilty of that sometimes, I know on my blog I've talked about the whole idea of using reality or real-life people as constructs for a story. However, in recent memory I have definitely done a better job of not incorporating reality into my stuff -- at least, if I use it, it's just as a jumping-off point.

I'm not sure I agreed with her about e-zines and getting paid. The competition for the paying mags is so steep and I do think exposure is good. One can draw the line at like, something that looks like it's a very amateurish site or whatever. I've been pleased with the look and feel of most of the e-zines I've been published on. I think these days there is a glut of good work, and it's definitely not all getting published by New Yorker or what have you.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

I was kind of uncertain about the e-zine comment too.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hmm, I think Maktaaq described every story ever published in Glimmer Train (not that there's anything wrong with that--in case you haven't finished reading my submission).

8:45 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Hee hee. Uh-oh!

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home