Friday, January 28, 2005

They Come In Threes

For those of you who keep count, I just received my second form rejection in a matter of two days today. What's perhaps worse, is this story is what I consider my crown jewel of my story portfolio. I've been aiming high with this one -- obviously too high. But I love it and I really want to get it somewhere very special. (Stop dreaming??)

Ah well... I could say... rejections (bad things) come in threes, or I could say, maybe, third time's the charm. :) We'll see. There are several others that are overdue. But now I have quite a list of stories I need to send out to new markets. I guess I won't be hurting for a weekend of constructive activity.

Thanks for reading,

LLB

4 Comments:

Blogger Hebdomeros said...

I have a piece (sitting now at Barrelhouse and Pindeldyboz) that I'm going through the same thing. I've gotten everything from form letters to "good, just not for us" letters. I know it works, it just needs to find the right place for it. I'm sure yours is the same. Just keep looking for that market that just right.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

LLB & Hebdomeros: MaikoPunk and I were just saying tonight how dedicated you guys are to your craft and how remarkable it is that you can write about writing every day.

Keep going at it - like Hebdomeros said, I am sure that story has its place.

12:44 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Oooh, good luck with Barrelhouse, Hebdomeros! I'm trying to get something in there as well. They've had it for a while... they didn't like my first submission but asked for something else closer to a story that is on another web site (a story I didn't even like much, ironically). So I sent something else to them that I thought might more closely fit.

But yes, back to the old drawing board, with this particular story that just got rejected... you're right, it's just a matter of finding the right market, difficult as it might seem. I sent it to Gargoyle, which I thought would be a good fit, but they asked to see another story instead -- but then they said that second one was a "maybe" for a while and then finally a "no." Oh well...

And thanks guys, for the kudos! Yep, it does seem like Hebdomeros and I are both dutifully cranking this stuff out! :)

1:27 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

That sucks, but at least you received a personal reply from the editors. I hate when you don't hear anything and the only way you know that your work wasn't picked is when the new issue comes out and you're not in it. Even if it's just a form letter, it's nice to hear something.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home