Thursday, November 25, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving, to those of you who are Americans. And to those of you who aren't, take some days off work and enjoy life, ha! Or be happy that Friday is approaching.

Anyway I probably won't be too involved with computers until Saturday (if I get desperately bored, I will likely log onto my parents' computer, but probably not) but other than that, I might just take a much-needed 2-day break from keyboards.

I'm thankful for a lot of things, including the people who are in my life (including you people who make this blog so much fun, even though I've never actually met you!) So, there's really no big rant today.

So I leave you with one question: What was your favorite personalized rejection? (Personalized rejections being one thing to be thankful for in some weird way. Somebody saw enough merit in your work to comment.) Mine is: "This is written very well, but it shows unlikeable people doing unlikeable things." Ouch. Someone else who commented on it said it was a perfect reminder of the 80s bar scene (even though it was supposed to be modern day), and "gritty," so again, to each his or her own. By the way the rejection that the first person mentioned reacted, I'd say the story hit a nerve.

But again, that somebody took time to think that, and say that, was heartening for me. If anybody else has rejections that cracked them up or made them think, I welcome them. I, for one, am now going to go and fill up on that turkey.

Thanks for reading,

LLB

4 Comments:

Blogger Hebdomeros said...

I won't say where this came from, but this is my personal favorite:

Dear _____,

This is a deftly written piece. The characters are strong and the themes you've drawn about the art world, the creation of art and the appreciation of art are fully realized and and very provocative.

We enjoyed reading, and we're sure you'll find a nice home for it. Just not this one.

Sincerely,

_________

9:02 PM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm thankful most of all for my friends and even my fascinating online ones...I'm just realizing how much I miss my daily dose of Litblitz!

I just started this year to submit to places. I submitted an article in June and never heard back from them. No wonder, whenever I reread that article I realize how bad it was. I am keeping it because there are some not bad sentences in there that I am attached to.

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hebdomeros - that's a good one! And you definitely could take heart in all the nice things they said! That's pretty awesome.

Maktaaq - yeah, the no-responders suck. Just know that as you send your work out, that you will have me as a shoulder with any rejections that may come! Just do send them out. I love your writing!

11:50 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Um, that "anonymous" up there was from me. I don't actually know why I was commenting anonymously for a while today. I guess maybe I accidentally hit the anonymous button or something.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home