Thursday, November 18, 2004

Never Do It Halfway

Okay, so I am at about 25,000 words for NaNoWriMo, so just about the halfway mark, and I have to say... man, this is hard.

On the one hand, I can sort of write in my sleep. At certain points the descriptions, the scenes, and the dialogue have just flowed (always a weird feeling, when you almost feel like you're in a trancelike state or something). On the other hand, how much of this is really good material is a whole other question. I have definitely shut off the inner editor (and the inner critic). Therefore, it will be a long way from publishable if I do make it to 50,000 words. (And I know that publishable isn't really the point.)

As far as any question as to its horror-ness, I'm still not sure it's actually that scary. I mean, the bar is raised really high in a book, and while you can write something down that sounds scary enough if it really DID happen in real life (hell, a chair moves across the room in real life, and I'd be outta here) that doesn't translate into a scary book. What I have found is it's sort of about grief, and the things we don't let go of (or people) even when they're not good for you and never were.

Anyway, all my musings aside... man. I know it's all downhill from here, since I'm halfway through, but I think I'm behind plan. I'm going to have to get my ass in gear over the next (less than) 2 weeks!

Happy writing, everybody,

LLB

2 Comments:

Blogger Hebdomeros said...

25k sounds like a good achievement to me. The most important thing is to have fun with it. Once you get to 50k, or the ending, then you can worry about taking it seriously if you want. Either way, I'm impressed. It's a lot more than I've ever written in month.

5:57 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Thanks Hebdomeros! It's funny, because the whole thing is about speed and quantity... so then, as you examine your own benchmarks, you say, "wow, that's a lot of words" but then the next immediate words are, "but they're not such good words," ha.

You're right, though. I should be proud of my achievement... and proud that I can go on the NaNoWriMo site and see that the bar is halfway filled in! Believe me, though, I'm feeling a little worse for the wear. It's a little tiring.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home