Thursday, November 11, 2004

Yep

Thank God it's (almost) Friday. I've taken some time off from reading high-brow literature to reading low-brow -- namely, He's Just Not That Into You. Of course now that us women are onto the ways of men, it seems my "relationship horror" genre stories won't have the full impact if the upshot of mysterious dating scenarios is, "Oh, he's just not that into (her)."

Oh, well, I look on the bright side from the literary angle -- there are always those lovely caveats that convince people that their own love affairs are somehow different.

At any rate, it's an easy and quick read and I should be done with it soon. Armed with this knowledge, I will never tell another guy I date it's ok for him to act like a jackass ever again. Hahaha.

Meanwhile, I've hacked my way to about 11,000 words now in NaNoWriMo, but still fail to see too much particularly horrifying in my project. Maktaaq cracked me up by commenting that perhaps this would make a good slasher movie screenplay, given the fact that my characters had a point where they all just wanted to get drunk and stoned rather than deal with the imminent supernatural danger at hand. However, I think they're getting back on track, and there haven't been any gratuitous boob shots or couples slipping off to knock boots despite the obvious fact that something's amiss and screwing always equals death when evil's knocking at the door. And they all know perfectly well that splitting up is very stupid. So, tomorrow I'll have to wonder, where to next.

On another negative note, it's beginning to remind me of Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, only not so creepy. (That's a good book, but I don't particularly like anything I write to remind me of someone else's story.)

I hope everybody's having a good night, and thanks for reading.

LLB

4 Comments:

Blogger Hebdomeros said...

If you're feeling too much like some other writer, maybe you can take one her rules and spin it on it's head. I haven't read that Shirley Jackson in a long time, but as I remember the ghost wouldn't let anyone leave. So perhaps they leave, but then find the world outside the haunted house changed. Slowly at first, but change increasing over time.

Didn't you mention a portal earlier? That's one way to change it up, too. Have fun!

12:47 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Hey Hebdomeros,

Yeah, that book was pretty amazingly creepy -- plus the really awesome idea that the house itself was somehow diseased, sick, and demented, along with the people who had lived and died within it. And it did sort of trap people in it.

Yeah, I think I need to go with the portal idea -- and actually, that was what my original plan was to have them leave and have things be wacko even then. Maybe I should continue along that grain. At least that is a twist.

Thanks for the suggestions!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

Ah, yes, what comes next...I hate myself, sometimes, for creating this perfect little world and having to throw conflict in to keep it moving. I feel bad for my characters.

3:36 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Hey Maktaaq! I know, isn't it funny? These characters owe so much to us. ;) It's weird, this novel thing is a little different than the short story convention, for me anyway. In terms of characterization -- and what they're doing, what I have them do -- it's a whole different ballgame somehow. I guess it's just that I'm not thinking about characters quite as much in a short story, since it's a short snippet in time and I haven't given myself the page space to fully develop them. It's weird.

Keep up the good work with your novel too! I loved the latest chapter!

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home