Saturday, November 20, 2004

A Morning Well Spent

I spent the large portion of my morning sending the body of my work (all short stories as well as short stories that are in final draft form, meaning, basically finished, but might need a few cosmetic changes as opposed to vast overhauls) to my Gmail account. I've been meaning to do that for a while. Although I have most of my short stories saved on a Zip disk, it is nice to know that I've got a safe, Web-based archive of my short stories saved there, and with the gigabyte of storage promised with a Gmail account, I figure I can't go wrong. I can also easily label each one so it will be easy to find them.

Just in case my computer decides to go kablooey, after all. Or (God forbid) there's some fire or something. If there were a fire my Zip disks would be no help, and I can't imagine losing all the short stories I've written over the years.

I also sent out a quick submission -- I've been seriously slacking off on that aspect of things, I have I think 3 or 4 that aren't at markets right now.

The next step of course, is to try to work on my NaNo piece, but I have been feeling a little rundown this weekend. I'm going to try to do that now...

Hope everybody's having a really fun and/or productive weekend. Thanks for reading!

LLB

2 Comments:

Blogger Hebdomeros said...

I had an electrical fire in my room in 6th grade, destroying 3/4 of every book I ever owned up to that point. Because of that, I have a somewhat irrational fear of all my handwritten journals going up in smoke some day. I do back up all my stories on disk that I type up, but I have no idea what to about my journals. Gmail's a good idea, though.

4:43 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Hey Hebdomeros,

Man, what a nightmare -- no wonder you have an irrational fear. I think fire is one of the scariest things. And especially for us bookish people. We're about as scared of it, I'm sure, as the Scarecrow. Because so much of what we do is paper oriented.

Seriously, my whole room is one big fire hazard. I'm surrounded by the stuff, even despite the fact that so much of what I do is actually on the computer.

As for your journals, though, I think they might have those fire-retardant boxes, I think you can get them at office supply stores? (Maybe I dreamed this all up, but I swear they exist.) Don't know how expensive they might be, but at least it would be peace of mind.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home