Monday, September 06, 2004

Breaking a Streak

Most of the rejections I've gotten recently have been personal ones that say to send more stories to those markets. I guess I need to follow my own advice and feel heartened by that fact.

Of course, I've got a story submitted to The New Yorker. I haven't submitted to them in years because I generally figure the chances of getting a story accepted there are about the same as being struck by lightning or winning the lottery, but every once in a while I get excited enough by a story I've written to go for it, and I recently discovered that at least they accept emailed submissions now. But, forget about receiving a personalized rejection from them. And as I've complained before, one of my submissions to McSweeney's has been out of commission since fall 2003. So I guess I will get no answer from them, personal or otherwise. I've since gone ahead and submitted that story elsewhere, considering that it's been there for about a year now.

I guess soon I will be getting an onslaught of form rejections though, having work submitted at Zoetrope: All-Story and Glimmer Train (yeah, even though the latter has had its moments of pissing me off to no end with its content -- it still pays good American money so is kind of worth the hope, filthy lucre). October's D-Day in terms of a bunch of submissions I have.

Hopefully now that today's Labor Day and summer is officially over, there are lots of other markets that are reading again, since summer's a pretty bad time to even think about marketing your writing. It's likely writers are among the only people who celebrate the end of summer. It's time to dare to dream again.

Write on,

LLB

2 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq said...

Summer was a pretty bad time for other places: attendance at the Museum's programs was way down and my friend cancelled some art classes she teaches because no one signs up for these things over the summer.

10:37 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Ah, right. After I wrote that I realized I could think of other areas that are slow -- like anyone seeking a job doesn't find much during the summer months.

I'm so surprised that museum programs and art programs weren't busy! Maybe it's just a weird summer in general for whatever reason. I've also noticed a lack of social events to attend too. Maybe nobody's really feeling so motivated these days, for whatever reason. (Planets in retrograde, etc.!)

LLB

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home