Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Cool Question of the Day

The August issue of Wired asked a very interesting question. "Would Moby Dick be better if Melville used a word processor?"

There were 3 answers from 3 "experts." For example, Lynne Truss (author of Eats, Shoots and Leaves) responded and mentioned the fact that with technology, has come less editing in the industry, and I whole-heartedly agree with her on that note. I'm appalled whenever I read a novel and realize that simple grammar rules are lacking. (Not to mention the fact that I thought the last Harry Potter book could have used a good editor to mercilessly cut about 200 pages that weren't necessary in the least.)

The answers encompassed many points of view; such as, classic authors were fine without technology -- even possibly more inspired. These days, we can certainly slash, save, cut, copy, paste our words with abandon. And easily whip out 9 or 10 drafts at will.

Personally, I think today's way is a much better way to write. Of course, it doesn't excuse people from remembering how to spell or use grammar properly. Maybe it's sad, but I'm not sure I could even write a short story longhand anymore, though perhaps it would be an interesting exercise. Meanwhile, though, I have been trying to resurrect the lost art of letter writing. Friends, beware!

I'd welcome anybody's thoughts on this question. I found it pretty thought provoking.

Thanks for reading,

LLB

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog. While I was cruising the net, I found your blog on article magazine submission womens. There is an article directory that has good information on article magazine submission womens. You can find it here at article magazine submission womens I will be back to this blog again.
Thanks, Larry

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a holden caulfieldvendor site called Holden Tees. We're a small company and we sell shirts and stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time

-Holden Tees

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home