Tuesday, August 31, 2004

More on Contrarianism

I discovered Contrary Magazine about a month ago. I finally got a chance to check it out.

It was pretty good, though not as "contrary" as I might have thought. I expected possibly more experimental work, or work that would be hard to place elsewhere. It has the tagline, "Journal of Unpopular Discontent," and states, "we conceal our dreams in the double negative, hoping to become a journal of popular content."

That said, I found it pretty par for the course. I liked the story "Ditch," by Kate Harding. "Surprise" by Wade Rubinstein was okay -- it held my attention well enough. "Wintering" by Michael P. McManus was clever -- I almost liked it the more I thought about it, actually, which was interesting.

At any rate, you'd think a magazine with a title like that would publish edgier stuff. I suppose that's my only complaint. It's worth checking out.

Thanks for reading,

LLB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home