Saturday, September 04, 2004

Happy Endings

Well, I guess I'd better pat myself on the back. I think tonight, I managed to actually give a short story a happy ending.

Usually, my fiction falls under a new term I've coined (at least I think I coined it): "relationship horror." All about dysfunctional relationships. And therefore, happy endings are generally in short supply. I probably wouldn't know romance if it kicked me in the behind.

The story I ended tonight is one I've been grappling with for about a month -- one that I set aside and actually wrote a whole different, full-fledged story in like, 2 days or something.

Well, with this current one, I re-examined it tonight and took a different tact -- ending it more abruptly than I had originally envisioned. (Why drag out the happy part? Sheesh.) It was already getting long anyway, but the truth is, I think I am happy with the result.

Is it a ravingly happy ending? Well, no. If anything, it's a bit ambiguous, but the more I think about it, the more it's dawning on me that damn, it's a happy ending. It'll probably get a good deal of further thought and revision over the weekend. But I always feel better about a piece when it at least has a beginning, middle, and end. Even though the ending's usually unhappy, ha. So I guess I can consider tonight a fairly constructive night.

Write on,

LLB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home