Saturday, August 12, 2006

Life in the Grotto

It occurred to me that it might be boring to hear a whole lot of talk magazine talk so I decided to do a little stream of consciousness. In March 2005, the tarot card reader I went to at Bottom of the Cup Tearoom in New Orleans told me I might not meet a lot of guys if I stayed in my writer's "grotto" all the time, but oh well. (She was a really good psychic, by the way.) What's more, now the grotto has one less person knocking around in it, since my roommate moved to India.

So, yeah, life in the grotto. Speaking of knocking around, now that I've moved my bedroom into what was my roommate's bedroom (and now I've got a bedroom that's only used for sleeping, which incidentally is a good tip for insomniacs) and converted my former bedroom into a library/office/study, I'm constantly wondering where I'm going for what. Wandering to and fro. Where are socks again? Where are my shoes? Most of my clothes are still in the closet in the library/office/study, because it's bigger and the closet in my bedroom is "open" -- it connects the bathroom to the bedroom. Anyway, I justify the disorganization as good exercise. It's also obviously spacious to be alone here, which is definitely not too convincing when it comes to the whole "writer's grotto" idea. I'd be closer to the concept if I lived in one room with the two cats, but I can't complain over the fact that I'm not fitting the stereotype at the moment. There's also the problem that my grotto is actually on the fourth floor of a garden apartment -- I think maybe a grotto is supposed to be subterranean, but I can't complain that I actually get some light unlike those creatures in the movie The Descent.

I haven't written a short story in a month or two -- and the last one I wrote was pretty much pilfered from an experience my friend J had. He knows I used him as inspiration for that story and he has no problem with that. However it must be kind of weird to see someone take a short vignette from your life and turn it into a short story complete with social commentary. I felt a little creepy about it and I was the one who wrote it. I'm hoping that having a whole room just for writing, reading and thinking will get the creative juices flowing but here lately all I've been doing is cleaning and organizing, it's never ending.

In other musings, I blame Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert for not getting more done. I think everybody should watch them, especially since our media isn't doing such a bang-up job these days. Who would have thought the most thought-provoking news coverage would come from Comedy Central? It's just like the old court jester idea. Only they don't tend to wear funny hats.

Okay, that's my stream of consciousness for the day.

Thanks for reading and keep on writing,

LLB

5 Comments:

Blogger asianpixie said...

I'm too much of a chicken to see The Descent in the theater. But I am curious to see it. I have read that it is a "chick flick with gore." Something for everyone, I guess.

9:27 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Haha, yeah that might be a good description of it. ;) When it comes to horror movies, though, I have to admit, it was the best one I've seen in a long time. It has loads of really heavy psychological elements too. Of course, you've got to like that sort of thing to enjoy it. ;)

7:05 PM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

I've read the reviews for the Descent, but I've been wary about seeing it. I don't often agree with fancy pants critics when it comes to horror movies. But now I might give it a chance.

I did, admittedly, have the same issue with Saw and finally rented it a month ago. I loved it, so I probably will like this one too.

9:42 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Hi Hebdomeros,

Yeah, I had the same experience with Saw. I didn't really want to see it and when I saw it, it blew me away. I hope you enjoy The Descent now that I've talked it up... but seriously, it really scared the pants off me (and off my friend who is a real horror movie pro). And it had a lot of psychological elements too, not just a monster movie. I really enjoyed it.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

The Bottom of the Teacup Tearoom sounds so neat - what a great idea to combine a tea room with readings!

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home