Saturday, December 04, 2004

More Vampy Stuff

Okay, so back to Vamped, by David Sosnowski. I do really recommend it, for being a fun read and a quick read, too. Sosnowski did such a great job of creating a world where vampires are the majority, unlike the usual fare, where vampires are edge dwellers, creatures of the night, a deadly minority.

So, indeed, humans are rare, and most vampires in this alterior universe are "bottle fed," but Sosnowski's Marty the vampire encounters a human little girl. (As one quote on the back of the book reads, he's merged two of the most terrifying characters in literature, a vampire and a little girl.)

Whether this ends up one long cookbook, well, I'll let you read it and find out if you're so inclined. It's a vastly entertaining book, just for a few laughs, even though I felt a teensy bit like it ran out of steam in the second half and the author had to call out for reinforcements, so to speak. But in the long run, it's rewarding; it's about consumerism, but moreover, family and love in a new realm where family and love have been obliterated, and morality. Interesting stuff, even if you're not usually a fan of "vampire books."

Thanks again to Brian of Bibliotechno for the recommendation.

Thanks for reading,

LLB

2 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq said...

I meant to stop by the library and see if they have Vamped.

Hmm, have you read I am Legend? It's also about a world in which vampires have taken over. I believe Charlton Heston starred in its film version, The Omega Man.

Little girls...wasn't Interview with the Vampire. based on Rice's daughter who died of leukemia?

3:05 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Gosh, I never read that one, nor have I ever seen The Omega Man. I'm going to have to check that out.

I think that Claudia in Interview with the Vampire was based on Rice's daughter who died.

It's funny, though, in Vamped, little kids who got vamped are called Screamers. Because they're so pissed that they got stuck in children's bodies that they scream and cuss everybody out all the time. That cracked me up... I'd better stop giving stuff away. ;)

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home