Tuesday, November 30, 2004

November's Over!

So, it's the last day of November and I didn't make the deadline for NaNoWriMo, capping out at about 32,000 words. Oh well! ;)

I want to thank everybody for their support though -- you guys were so helpful, reminding me of things like, even not making it to 50,000 words doesn't mean that it wasn't a worthwhile endeavor. Indeed, I do feel like I'll be able to use this somewhere, at some point... maybe even actually finish it. It ended up being an interesting exercise, for many reasons.

Not least of which is, I think I learned that I don't particularly like the novel form. It's funny, when I first started writing I had a hard time with economy of words, and my short stories tended to be very long. As I've mentioned before, I have a few novellas in my body of work, though I generally haven't marketed them and still am not sure what to do with them.

At any rate, these days, when I'm writing, my stories generally feel comfortable at about 3,000 words -- it seems to be my magic number, really.

Anyway, I wanted to thank everybody again. Here's to a less stressful December! (Hey wait a minute... the holidays are always stressful. Oh well!)

LLB

5 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq said...

Good job!

I am not going to be adding anything more to my 15,000 words, well, not in the 1.5 hours I have left. I have given myself the 50,000 word deadline for the end of January.

I am actually liking the novel form, as my characters are starting to be more interesting - finally! But I dread having to edit it. There's so much and I have no idea how to juggle such an immense project.

First thing's first, though, I've got to finish writing the monster. :)

1:37 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Good for you, Maktaaq, for giving yourself the extended deadline. Which is a sane thing that I should have done!

Good luck, to you, because like I told you, I love your project. Keep it up!

11:51 PM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

Awhile ago I was churning out nothing but novella-length stories. There still on my computer, because I have no idea what to do with them. But now my natural length seems to have slipped back down to 10 pages. At this rate, I'll barely be able to get out a paragraph in a year.

9:34 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Soon, you'll be kind of flash... just kidding. I'm definitely in the same boat as you, though. Watching that word count shrink... but like I said, in my case, I'm seeing it as a good thing. A lot less agonizing for me.... God forbid I should get to really like my characters. ;)

5:19 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Oops, I meant king of flash, not kind of flash. What a day it has been... brain fried a little.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home