Sunday, November 28, 2004

Getting Bookish

Yesterday I suffered a fit of compulsive shopping. I hit Borders and managed to find a few books I wanted.

I bought Vamped, by David Sosnowski (a recommendation from Brian over at Bibliotechno) and Dhalgren by Samuel Delany (a recommendation from Hebdomeros). I also bought McSweeney's Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories, despite my poor reaction to McSweeney's these days. (Oops, I just noticed I could have gotten Vamped far cheaper on Amazon. If anyone's considering getting it, Amazon might be the ticket.) Anyway, the McSweeney's anthology looks promising.

I started Vamped last night and couldn't put it down. So far, it's hilariously funny.

I had a bit of buyer's remorse over all the purchases although I do have to admit, I did put a few books back on the shelves, at least. Between those, some stocking stuffers, and some holiday cards so I can do the annual card routine, I spent a chunk of change. As I said before, come on, Christmas money! (Yes, I still have relatives who send Christmas money even at my advanced mid-30s age, bless their hearts. Not very much but it usually helps defray some of the expense of the holidays.)

I did work on NaNoWriMo last night, but I believe I have pretty much stagnated at 32,000 words. Looks like I'm going to be a LOSER, ha. Just kidding. As has been suggested to me, even if I don't make the 50,000 word deadline, I can probably use it for something, at some point.

Hope everybody's having a nice weekend (which is quickly winding down),

LLB

5 Comments:

Blogger Hebdomeros said...

The McSweeney's is getting a lot of good reviews, but let us know if it's worth it. I'll have to see if I can get Vamped from the library. I'm trying really, really hard not to buy any books for awhile (yeah, right).

9:38 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

the librarian must know my phone number by heart. i have requested many books over the past few weeks with the surface intention of avoiding the swipe. that's credit card, not shop lifting.

6:53 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Hey Hebdomeros & Patina -- I hear you guys! Like I said, with the holidays coming, I felt guilt for laying down the money on the books. My local library system does have a nice online system for reserving books, or for getting coveted titles transferred to your local library -- I love it. I don't know if yours do, but it's worth a check. I'm not sure just how new Vamped is, but it's still in hardback, as far as I know, so it might be something that's at the library, but requires a waiting list or such...

Libraries are so very helpful for when one doesn't want to rack up the credit card debt, that's for sure! However, there's something about the siren song of the bookstore... (sigh)! I'm TERRIBLE... seeing how I have a nice new library within walking distance of where I live!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

I think I have a solution. Buy books. Buy loads of them. Read them, but ever so carefully. Then wrap them. Tie on a bow. Bravo! Gift giving is solved. wink!

5:22 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

LOL! That's an awesome idea! :)

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home