Thursday, March 17, 2005

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

Some holidays are difficult when you're a former drunk. I work in Old Town Alexandria, which has a few Irish bars/pubs and tends to go all out for the holiday. At 2pm there were folks carousing very near my building, and at 4 they were apparently lined up around the block to get into the other big Irish bar experience. So there it was, broad daylight, and I was catapulted back to memories of college, how nice it would be to be slamming beers in the middle of the day. I could almost taste it. Almost hear the din of friends all jazzed to get drunker.

But anyway, it's actually about 15 years later of course, and times are different. I finished my work feeling like I'd been run over by a steamroller and came home to load CDs on my computer and onto my iPod Shuffle. I still haven't even gotten halfway through my CDs. Many of those are pretty old school too.

Well, I hope everybody's having the luck o' the Irish... don't drink the funny beer, but the green beer is okay. And whatever you do, don't kiss the blarney stone!

Write on,

LLB

7 Comments:

Blogger Hebdomeros said...

St. Paddy's day is probably the one day a year I really feel like I should get drunk and stupid. Once upon a time, it would be the only party I'd throw each year. And it was a good one. But now...although a part of me feels like I should drink, drink, drink I can't do it anymore. My latent leprechaun is repressed, I guess.

11:20 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Hee hee, well let's all admit it, the latent leprechaun is a bit naughty. Maybe it's good... ha. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't do it anymore... I missed it, I have to say, but don't regret where I'm standing right now...

Really, you feel like getting drunker on St. Paddy's Day than on New Years Eve? My roommate had someone tell her that the winter holidays were the trifecta for former drunks trying not to drink, which I thought was interesting and oh so true, since there's such an emphasis on wassail and all that (not to mention, the whole funny hats and NYE thing...)

11:49 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm not a big fan of St Patrick's Day. Of course, it might be because I live near O'Donnell square, which becomes, as someone called it, "amateur night" on big drinking holidays such as this. Don't feel like you're missing out on anything!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

Happy belated St Patrick's Day...I don't know what all the fuss about drinking either. Last night was our monthly dancing date and we were really peeved they replaced our Britpop night with this hardcore hip hop crap. Worst Irish music I ever heard. Luckily our bar was pretty laid back, probably because there were five guys in the crowd of one hundred women (this is Vancouver). I find guys get really obnoxious when they drink, far worse than women. (But not always, of course.)

Still it was better than last year when I went to a real St Patrick's Day thing...again happy belated St Patrick's Day.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

Hardcore Irish Hip-Hop?

Shudder

I'm picturing Michael Flatley hopping up and down, pumping out some mad rhymes to a hard beat sampled and remixed from Megadeth. Please say I'm on the right track.

12:07 AM  
Blogger maikopunk said...

I love St Paddy's! Its a pretty easy holiday to celebrate. I have been to kiss the Blarney Stone. The luck it gives must be in getting up and down all those steep stone stairs in Blarney Castle without breaking your neck!

1:56 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Yeah, St. Paddy's Day and New Years Eve are both big amateur nights, Jen. I don't know that I appreciate amateurs, nine times out of ten!

Maktaaq, I like your description of 55 guys to 100 women scenario. It sounds like DC to me. ;)

Hee hee, Maikopunk, it does sound a wee bit dangerous!

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home