Wednesday, October 13, 2004

More on Names and Naming

Okay, I have to defer to the interesting things others are saying.

Maktaaq, thanks a bunch for your post about pseudonyms! That was a great read and I'm loving reading the comments you're getting about the nature of choosing a name.

It reminded me of the fact that my plan, were I ever to get married (and that's looking highly doubtful these days) was that I would likely take the other person's last name, or hyphenate, but would keep my maiden name for use in my writing, be it day job bylines or my fiction. (Hmm, having read this, it sounds so very UNrevolutionary. "Maiden name" -- how dumb does that sound? I've had my own name for 34 years, and I'm not what you could call a maiden.) But again, that shows my stubborn fixation on my name, seeing how LitBlitz is the only place I've ever had a pseudonym.

And maikopunk, thanks for your comments about life in the trenches, viewing submissions to a magazine, and what submissions made you look askance at the contributor. The one who claimed Arnold Schwarzenegger was already agreed to be in the movie version -- that's hilarious. And makes me very happy I have never resorted to patent untruths (or insanity) in submission cover letters ("Johnny Depp REALLY wants to be the leading man in the film version of this" hahaha), nor have I ever accompanied submissions with crayon drawings. Phew. ;)

Thanks for reading,

LLB

5 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq said...

Speaking of maiden names, for some reason - and I am someone who loves new names - this won't be happening with me when I get married.

I hope I get married one day. Please?

1:58 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Maktaaq,

It's a big question. I've had several girlfriends who have grappled with it. Lots have kept their names. Some have hyphenated, and some have taken the new name. Actually, one of my male friends hyphenated his name and his wife's, so they both have the hyphenated name, which is super cool in my book.

And... of course you will! :)

LLB

7:11 AM  
Blogger Hebdomeros said...

That's a nice, and very equitable, option. I kind of like that. It just leaves the arguements then to which name comes before the hyphen, and which after...

10:48 AM  
Blogger maikopunk said...

i got a lot of flack for changing names when I got married. Perhaps because I am a feminist? Archaic as it sounds to say "maiden name" I do still write under my own name.
The pseudonym I chose doesn't reflect my personality so much as love of a good juxtaposition, like maiko (an apprentice geisha) + punk (self-explanatory).

12:30 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Hebdomerus,

You're right, that could turn into a scuffle in of itself -- whose name first?? Ha. Sometimes I'll bet there's just a certain flow that sounds better. My friend used his wife's name first in the equation, but I have to admit, it would not have sounded better the other way around!

Maikopunk, yeah -- I do know some people give others flack for changing their names and on the one hand, having some feminist leanings, I understand but on the other hand, hey, to each his or her own. (One girlfriend of mine refused to change her name for the sheer reason that she HATED her husband's last name! It hurt his feelings, which is sad.) I'm glad to hear that you write under your own name, since that was my brilliant plan, ha. And, I think "maikopunk" is a cool pseudonym, even cooler now that I get the whole gist!

LLB

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home