Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Bookshelves and Superstores

Okay, so thinking back to college days is quite a ways back in time, for me, but sometimes I do it anyway. Of course, that means it's a good 14 years since the following anecdote was told to me.

One of my major mentors, a professor I had for several women's and Victorian lit classes, revealed to me that she had, at one time, had similar goals as I -- to be a writer. But one day, she realized just how many books there were in the world, and developed a world-class case of writers block. (Man!)

Every so often I think about that. I imagine how she must have felt gazing at some dazzling array of books on bookshelves in some massive library, or in later years, I guess it might become some Borders superstore or the like.

And sometimes I'll catch myself thinking about it when I'm in a library or a bookstore and I'll command myself NOT to think that thought.

It's a shame, really. I do know she's still a voracious reader. (I like to try to keep in touch with people. I'm a little hard to shake, I guess.) I am not, however, sure if she ever took up the pen again. I should probably ask sometime.

I hope she did. As long as humanity exists, there are always new voices, new horizons, new styles, new ways of thinking and expressing the world, and its changing faces. There will never be a point when it's all been "done," in exactly the same way.

Write on,

LLB

3 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq said...

First off, Madame LLB, you seem like one of the nicest people around. :)

>As long as humanity exists, there are always new
>voices, new horizons, new styles, new ways of thinking
>and expressing the world, and its changing faces. There
>will never be a point when it's all been "done," in
>exactly the same way.

I always thought so too.

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look up at all those books and think "damn, it's gotta be easy if all these people did it"

8:39 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Aw, thanks Maktaaq! You do too! :)

And right on, Anonymous. That's definitely the POSITIVE way to look at it. And if there's anything that is required of writing, it's having a positive outlook while getting those rejection slips in the mail... sigh.

LLB

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home