Thursday, August 19, 2004

Write a Novel, Any Novel

I came across an interesting site today. Apparently, the challenge is on -- write a novel -- ANY novel (plot? who needs it!) -- during the month of November. The only rules are it needs to be from scratch and it needs to hit 50,000 words (which is actually a novella, but I digress).

Here is the site. Check it out.

In a way, it gets to me a little... that whole thing that everybody thinks they have the great American novel in them. Even people who have not written anything since their college paper. But that's a low blow. So I will also say, it's cool because I would imagine one might gain a lot of entertainment from the exercise. Dig around the site, they've got lots of funny stuff there too.

Good luck, if you decide to devote November to writing the Great American novel!

Write on,

LLB

2 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq said...

National Novel-Writing Month! I tried that a couple of times! The first time I got to 3,000 words before life got in the way. Last year, I gave up even sooner. This year I challenged a coworker who also writes: whoever gets over 10,000 words first gets $20.

There's also a three-day novel-writing thing here in Vancouver. A friend and I were about to do it, then she got pregnant. Then my coworker and I were going to team up, but I have two weddings that weekend.

So I am going to look forward to November.

8:51 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

That's so great! I have never even heard of this... plus novellas are all I've ever written. Maybe it is worth a shot... and as long as I'm looking at it just for fun, maybe that's the ticket, to just DO it!

Good for you, I'm glad you're doing it -- let me know if you want to trade efforts once November is done. :)

LLB

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home