Monday, August 16, 2004

On Anonymity Part Deux

A couple weeks ago Amazon said it's working hard to discourage anonymous reviews posted on their site. The upshot was, anonymous posting of reviews invites distrust and of course, there have been problems with authors complaining that people with grudges wil write heinous reviews of their work, for example.

It kind of made me think of this blog, where I've made the decision to remain anonymous. I guess in some ways I could see how it might invite distrust. But if anything, I think my anonymity helps me be more honest, not less. (Of course, speaking of distrust, I have that nagging fear that calling out magazines on certain aspects of their operations could result in black listing.)

Anyway, any thoughts on this are welcome. I think it can work either way. I can only say that I personally try to operate with the utmost integrity despite the ranting and raving. For example, I can complain about McSweeney's non-responding ways and still admit that they put out some damn good stuff.

Thanks for reading,

LLB

3 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq said...

Since last December when I put up comments and my email on my blog, I have gotten two official pieces of hate mail. One of them was in complaint of my writing about suicide victim Marissa Imrie (and I thought I was very sympathetic to her memory!); the other was that I was "so boring no wonder the Muslims want to kill white people." Plus it had some random mumbling about how stupid I am. Oh well. I can't wait to get more mail.

9:16 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Oh good lord, that's terrible! Well, that's one thing about the internet -- being extremely exposed to all kinds of people. It does make it nice to be anonymous, for sure.

I can relate though, through my day job I get lots of hate mail for my opinions. Just let it roll off and carry on. (I had dreams that zombies were after me, which I blamed not only on the fact that I love horror movies but also the hate mailers!)

I love your blog by the way! :)

LLB

10:30 PM  
Blogger Maktaaq said...

Thanks! I am enjoying yours too!

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home