Monday, August 16, 2004

More Gargoyle

I finished another issue of Gargoyle -- that's no. 39/40, which some may know I've been pecking away at for a while now. It may only be published once per year, but it sure does offer a lot of bang for the buck, seeing how it's a thick tome full of essays, poetry, and fiction.

Teenage Vixens from the Netherworld, by Jodi Bloom, really rocked. One that sent me scurrying for a post-it flag was Charmer, by Cathryn Hankla. Seismatrix, by Hillary Johnson, was remarkably inventive. Where Your Life Begins, by Leslie Pietrzyk, rang true as well.

In the modern retelling of the fairy tale tradition, was Beauty and Rudy, by Julia Slavin. That one, obviously, is a modern rendition of Beauty and the Beast, and it's certainly not all hearts and flowers, that's for sure.

I didn't enjoy this issue quite as much as the first one I reviewed, but let's face it, there's a lot of good stuff there, definitely worth the money and the time. My next stop on the literary cruise is likely Kenyon Review, which shouldn't take long -- I checked, there are only three pieces of fiction in there. However, I do need to switch to a novel soon, I think all the short stories are wreaking havoc on my attention span!

Thanks for reading,

LLB

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

How can you read so much without losing your mind (or at least your eyes drying up and falling out)? I haven't read much of anything I've liked lately. I started reading a selection from the Today book club (not realizing it was book club of the crappy CBS show; rather, I fancied it some sort of new-age hippy slang much in the vein of "Today Sponge") called The Sleeping Father or some such nonsense. I only made it through a few chapters before I had to give up on it, and I never give up on books! I'm reading a book that Joyce Carol Oates wrote, under her pen name, about female twins, one of whom is a serial killer, but I'm not such I'll make it through that one, either.

11:23 AM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Yeah, I think I am about to go a bit batty, actually. I think the switch to novel should help, I think all the short stories are starting to have an effect of making me weirded out, heart palpitations, and overall general freaking out. (Just kidding, but I am a bit burnt!) I think a switch to a good novel will help.

The last book I gave up on was Drop City by T.C. Boyle. It looked good; someone else told me it was good... I just stopped. I may start again at some point.

But sometimes yeah, you've just gotta call it... when you just can't get into it and put it back down. I hope the Joyce Carol Oates book treats you better!

LLB

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home