Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Put on a Pedestal

All right, last time around I was beating up on Poets & Writers a bit but I did run across what looked like an interesting online literary magazine in its pages, called The Pedestal Magazine.

I admit, I've never heard of it, and I didn't find a listing for it on the most recent Novel & Short Story Writer's Market. However, apparently it's been around since late 2000. It also pays writers it publishes.

I really enjoyed the introduction to the fiction section by Nathan Leslie. He discussed what has been a prominent literary trend for quite some time now (I actually am not crazy about it), confessional/self-expression in fiction, and compared it to intellectual detachment of the T.S. Eliot variety. I highly recommend reading the piece, it does give some good food for thought. (And of course, for those of us who aren't crazy about highly personal, confessional fiction, it seems like it's still pretty well ensconced, since it does segue well with the current fascination with reality TV, documentaries, and memoirs, as he points out in his exploration.) At any rate, I appreciated that he brought up the subject, it's a good one for writers to mull over.

Meanwhile, I did enjoy several of the stories I read there, in particular "The Real Story" by Jim O'Loughlin.

The Pedestal Magazine also publishes poetry, and has an online art gallery and bookstore (more specifically, it lists books by authors it has published that can be purchased from Amazon). It's well worth a look.

Thanks for reading and keep on writing,

LLB

2 Comments:

Blogger Hebdomeros said...

I know one person who was published in Pedestal, and he seemed pretty keen on the whole experience working with them. I haven't submitted there myself, because my work just doesn't seem to fit what they want. It's a nice mag, though.

I like your comment linking the confessional short story--which I'm not a fan of either---to reality t.v. Never thought about it that way, but it makes sense. They fulfill some of the same needs.

2:55 PM  
Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Wow, that's really cool about your friend. Was he a new writer or already had some publications under his belt?

I was channel surfing tonight and came across a bit on one of the news channels, some survey of young people (I guess they were under the age of 19 if I recall correctly) say that the American Dream is to become famous. That's quite an interesting thought given the whole confessional/reality TV trend these days.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home