Monday, July 26, 2004

More on Gargoyle

So, having finished the fiction section of Gargoyle, it was basically all so great there's really no point in listing out every story that rocked the house. Almost all of them did. I mean, it might be easier to just list out the stories that didn't particularly do it for me, but there were so few of those, that that would just be plain mean and detract from the real message, which is... if you feel like spending $10 on a literary magazine, Gargoyle No. 47 is a good bet, if you like edgy, experimental stuff that's free of conventional dogma.

If I had to pick out a story that was most brilliant in this issue, it would probably be Seventeen Ways of Looking at a Frog, by Martin Seay. Most humorous, probably Life as a One-Hit Wonder, by Thom Didato -- it chronicles the life of the band Big Country's biggest fan, as juxtapositioned against dates of importance in the band's history -- totally clever. The New Nose by Steph Paynes and Godzilla vs. Alice Cooper by Natasha Cho were also awesome. So, there, I've teased with a few worth noting but the full fiction section is really about 160 pages of literary delight.

See my last post for more on this issue of Gargoyle, as I began with the poetry -- again, maybe it's just my taste and wishing for a bit of revolution in writing that makes me favor this magazine over the latest offering from the ladies at Glimmer Train but let's just say I hope that people do know that Gargoyle is out there, if mags like Glimmer Train aren't their style. I also have the 20th anniversary issue of Gargoyle on my reading list -- I'm looking forward to that one, both because now I suspect more editorial excellence as well as the fact that there's an essay by Nick Cave in it as well.

Thanks for reading, and write on,

LadyLitBlitzin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home